How is a 25 000£ per year salary in UK ?

Started by barbarian, 29 August 2015, 04:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt J

QuoteNot THEM ? I don't want to see......The speed of their staff 'turnover' is something to be very wary of, Yann

I think its Mantic Phil, not THEM*

QuoteYour life, but I'd NEVER trade Italy for England

Agree on that one, would love to go the other way (or France), the sh*tty weather here gets you down along with the culture. I was in Italy last week, night out in Pistoia 10.30pm kids out playing in street, old people sitting around talking, families having ice cream. Pistoia about same size as Wolverhampton, would you take your family out for ice cream 10.30pm on a Friday night in Wolverhampton.....

* assuming we mean GW and not the radioactive giant ants
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Techno

Quote from: Matt of Munslow on 30 August 2015, 08:11:41 AM
I think its Mantic Phil, not THEM*

That's alright then......Go for it !!  :)

I just looked at 'their' vacancies page...."Miniatures Design Manager"..... I ought to apply for that, having done that one before........Knowing full well they'd never have me back.....I'm too old........ and I wouldn't have the slightest intention of taking the job.  ;D ;D ;D
(Well...maybe for a six figure sum and an absolute guarantee of a three year contract.....That'll take me beyond State Pension age..... ;D ;D ;D ;D)

Cheers - Phil

barbarian

Quote from: FierceKitty on 30 August 2015, 01:25:54 AM
Your life, but I'd NEVER trade Italy for England.

Main problem of Italy : no money and a wife (ex?!) and a child to feed.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Eeek !!

NOT good.
Very best of luck, Yann.

Cheers - Phil

Last Hussar

I'm on £24k, with a take home of about £1550pcm - but that may be different for others because I'm in the Civil Service pension scheme, and the deductions affect my tax and NI.

To rent a 2 bed in Nottingham you seem to be looking at £550-£650

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E1019&minBedrooms=1&maxBedrooms=2&displayPropertyType=houses&oldDisplayPropertyType=houses&googleAnalyticsChannel=renting

You'll need £100pm council tax, and maybe £150(? wife does the utilities) in gas, electricity water and phone/internet.  I reckon food will be about £150 pppm

£650+100+150 = £900, Plus food, plus transport (work on a car costing £0.50 per mile over the course of a year, plus insurance.  We do about 400-500 miles per month on £50-60- thats down to my wife town driving, and the fact she doesn't care about using diesel!)
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

FierceKitty

Ah. Hostages to fortune do make a difference. I hope I didn't sound insulting.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

barbarian

You didn't.
I have plans to continue freelancing tough, but was considering living for a bit in the Mecca of the wargaming industry, and even 400-500£ sent back to Italy are worth the try.

Orcs

HI Yan

I think L.H'S estimates fairly good.  He does not drive much. I do 1500 miles a month mainly becayse I comute 20 miles each way to work, so its easy to mount up.  Trouble i public transport over here is not a very flexible or cheap way to travel.  

My work comute would take aboutan hour each way assuming I did not have to wait for a bus at the work end.

Cost Train          £8.10
Bus return to work from far end Station  £3.00
Parking at station this end £6.50 a day

Total cost to comute £17.60 a day

Usiing the car costs me about £7 a day in fuel and its 25 minutes door to door.  Thats with a fairly euneconomical car.  So for me the car is a no brainer

Good Luck
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Steve J

In Nottingham the bus service used to be very good and cheap. They have trams now so not sure how they compare. I used to cycle to work which was pretty easy to do and the traffic wasn't too bad. Quicker than the bus and virtually free, given low annual running costs.

Last Hussar

The 50p a mile is based on the civil service expenses rate of about 44p - this is to include wear and tear as well as fuel.

GNU PTerry

barbarian

I re-made my CV. Tried to translate everything, not easy with the Diplomas and the schools name, but...
I followed a plan found on internet.
Someone can give it a read to see if it's okay ? (I'll e-mail it to you)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Bizarrely FSN is your man, he works in recruiting!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

Quote from: barbarian on 01 September 2015, 12:05:59 AM
Someone can give it a read to see if it's okay ? (I'll e-mail it to you)

Feel free to send it through and I'll give it a check.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Last Hussar

GNU PTerry

fsn

Oh yes. Send it through to me.

I'm in that game.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!