How is a 25 000£ per year salary in UK ?

Started by barbarian, 29 August 2015, 04:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbarian

I'm considering applying for a job in UK.
The initial advert was 25000£ per year + Health care personal plan.
But they later removed the salary.

How much will fall into pocket per month ? How is the life in UK with a salary around 25 000-30 000£ ?
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Matt J

depends where the job is, you might struggle in London, anywhere north of Watford gap  :-bd
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Chad

Your net monthly income after tax and NI would be roughly £1,650. The health plan may or may not be taxable.

Chad

Leman

Depends on age, dependents and location. £25,000 is about the starting salary for a young teacher. It's at the bottom of professional salaries, so if you are young and just starting out with only yourself to support it's not too bad if it's the first rung on a career. If the job is located in the south-east, within 50 miles of London you will find accommodation horrifically expensive. The further north you go the cheaper accommodation is, but it's all relative. Flat in the north about £450 pcm; similar flat in London £1600 pcm. Why is healthcare such a big deal? We have the NHS.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

Fenton

In Northern Ireland that would be well above mean average wage. I suspect it would be in Scotland And Wales as well
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

fred.

Be very aware that around London prices for everything are much higher - this applies for much of the South of England too. As noted above you will really notice this for housing costs, but also for most everyday things too.

Once you get away from London things get much more sensible.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

barbarian

It is in Nottingham.  ;) Graphic design. I think they removed the salary as it was on the low end for the skills involved. I think I'll give it a try.

Steve J

It would not go very far here in Bristol. You wouldn't be able to get a mortgage and renting would not get you in a very nice area, generally speaking. As an idea of our broad expenditure a month for a family of 4, we pay:

£150 councill tax
£400 on food and sundries (we don't eat out as it's so bl**dy expensive)
£100 gas and electricity
£50 water rates

Renting would be £600 plus per calendar month minimum, plus a couple of month's deposit and fees to check your credit history etc.

If you commuted by bus add in another £100.

Nottingham is quite cheap but has some very rough areas to avoid. You could search for local letting agents to get an idea of rental costs. The other downside is that it's the centre of the wargames industry in the UK!!!

petercooman

Quote from: barbarian on 29 August 2015, 09:49:45 PM
It is in Nottingham.  ;) Graphic design. I think they removed the salary as it was on the low end for the skills involved. I think I'll give it a try.

Don't do it, that salary won't support being so close to so many wargame hq's.

It's a nice company though  ;)

Leon

Outside of London it's probably not a bad wage and you could live on it.  It's more than we earn at Pendraken and we just about manage to pay most of the bills each month...  :'(

Prices for houses/rent vary massively across the country.  My friend lives in London with a friend and they pay a combined £1600/month rent on a two bed flat in Finsbury area.  We live up in Middlesbrough and pay £550 for a 4-bed semi-detached house in a nice area on the outskirts of town.  

Nottingham is a nice city with a high number of students.  It used to be the knife crime capital of the UK but that was 10 years ago and it's changed a lot since then.  We went for a management night out there when I was still running pubs and it seemed a friendly enough place.  A quick look online shows houses to rent available from £200 per month (bad part of town!) although this one looks quite interesting if you don't need loads of space: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-53682014.html  That website (RightMove) is very handy for looking at UK properties, so you could have a look at where the job will be, maybe ask them for recommedations on where to live nearby and then do a search?

Let me know if we can help with anything.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Leman

Be awarethat you will be competing with over 30,000 students for accommodation. Avoid the area called St.Anne's.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

barbarian

30 August 2015, 12:32:29 AM #12 Last Edit: 30 August 2015, 02:02:52 AM by barbarian
Good or bad news is that I would come alone. :-\

I'm writing my letter.

FierceKitty

Your life, but I'd NEVER trade Italy for England.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Quote from: barbarian on 29 August 2015, 09:49:45 PM

Not THEM ? X_X......The speed of their staff 'turnover' is something to be very wary of, Yann.
Cheers - Phil