2mm Dark Ages / Dux Bellorum

Started by O Dinas Powys, 19 August 2015, 02:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Irregular do a 2mm crenelated city wall which might serve.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: fred. on 29 December 2015, 08:52:41 PM
I like the look of these - the way you have done different formations on the bases. And added in single skirmishers too!

Thanks  :-[

Cheers!  The idea is to differentiate the bow and javelin skirmishers more readily.  Can't take credit for it though: Dan suggests it for the warrior units in the Dux Bellorum rulebook and Tiny Tin Troops - http://www.tinytintroops.co.uk/Galleries/2mm/2mmAR/index.htm - was a great inspiration ;)

Cheers!

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Subedai on 29 December 2015, 09:18:51 PM
There really is quite a lot of detail on them isn't there? And they paint up nicely.

Yup, although some of the blocks are a lot clearer than others.  The close-order troops are the best - you can just make out baldrics on the back of the legionaries for example  :o

I think the hoplites are my favourite, I'll probably use them for most non-Roman shieldwalls.

Cheers!

Meirion

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 30 December 2015, 10:41:13 AM
cracking good stuff!  :-bd

Only two armies I ever managed to completely paint up were in 2mm scale.  :-[

;D =O

Although I have to admit to only ever finishing one 10mm army - for last year's painting competition - so unless I manage to fit in another these could be my 2nd and 3rd...  ;)

My excuse is I'm really a role-player, but then my 10mm dungeon's also in need of a bit of work  :-[

Cheers!

Meirion

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: kodiakblair on 03 January 2016, 04:34:53 AM
Nice to see am update. They're looking great.

Can't remember if I've posted these and I still haven't done any flock. Here's some  of my Romans and some shots of the Brigade Roman buildings. Just thumbnails so click to expand.

Great stuff  :-bd

I saw them at Colours last year, they are REALLY nice and I was VERY tempted.  I asked about dark age "barbarian" buildings and they are possibly on the cards for the future :)

Cheers!

Meirion

O Dinas Powys

Thanks to everyone for their kind words, hopefully now the madness of Christmas is over I may get a chance to sort out some basing and reinforcements  :)

Although with the Pendraken painting competition due soon I may have an excuse for further delay  :-[ ;)

Cheers!

Meirion

kodiakblair

Meirion

I'm waiting on some Fantasy/Dark Age buildings from Brigade too. I know they will do it given time :) Strange thing though early last year I emailed them asking for a timescale
on the future releases and added a throwaway question " Will you do any monuments ? ". Got a reply couple of days later saying they'd looked at some blueprints online and didn't
think it would be a problem.

2 month later the Big Buildings were on sale :-bd I don't think for one moment it had anything to do with me  :)

Started a model of a castle using the towers and walls from Irregular so I'll try and post a photo.The base of course needs plenty of work yet.

KB

Ithoriel

I am tempted by the idea of Magister Militums 3mm figures and Brigades scenery.

First I need to finish a million and one other projects :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Ithoriel on 04 January 2016, 03:14:17 AM

Scale creep? ;)

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Subedai on 03 January 2016, 01:32:24 PM
That Roman city is the mutts. Probably the only scale where the Colosseum doesn't dominate the table!

If you snipped off a few skirmishers and gave them an appropriate paint job you could do gladiatorial games ;)

There are even wolves and elephants available for beastly games  8)

Just need a circus maximus for a spot of chariot racing as well  :-bd

Cheers!

Meirion

Fenton

Quote from: Ithoriel on 04 January 2016, 03:14:17 AM

I got some of the WSS samples. They are much bigger than the OO and in my opinion the sculpting isn't as good
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Ithoriel

Quote from: Fenton on 04 January 2016, 09:14:40 AM
I got some of the WSS samples. They are much bigger than the OO and in my opinion the sculpting isn't as good

Ah! Disappointing but not surprising. Can't be easy working at that scale.

Better get on and paint the stuff I already have then :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

kodiakblair

I was going to take some pictures of the MM 3mm Roman & Celt commands (unpainted of course ;) ) next to the Brigade buildings.
Doesn't look like I need to now. The OO are better detailed but 3mm are huge next to the Brigade houses,infantry are taller than most buildings.

If folk do fancy the MM 3mm Ancients then 6mm houses etc are perfect. Dux Brit would be fantastic with the 8 man strips on 20 x 20 bases and there's loads of
scenery out.Baggage Train do some great Roman fort pieces and then there's....... :-\

I'll stop no before I get carried away :)

Leman

I looked at the MM 3mm figures on their site, which provides a helpful magnifying glass for those which are illustrated. TBH I didn't think they were anything special and thought might as well go 6mm considering how big they are. I prefer the more generic 2mm Irregular stuff which works very well with the Brigade buildings, plus Irregular produce a mass of scenery as well.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Subedai

Quote from: Leman on 03 January 2016, 02:05:07 PM
I am now seriously considering some Republican Romans and Macedonians in 2mm for use with Warmaster. The above are remarkable.

Looking at these has got me thinking as well. Only Jan. 4th and already the resolutions are dropping like sprayed flies!

Quote from: Ithoriel on 03 January 2016, 02:34:04 PM
If Brigade did Roman city walls I'd be facing another pile of unpainted lead :)

How difficult is it to make walls? Not that I'm trying to be bad conscience or anything   :)
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!