Prussian Artillery 1866

Started by Chad, 11 August 2015, 07:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Pringle

Heresy, I know, but this whole debate strikes me as a good argument for gaming in 6mm where these details don't matter!

Chris

Leman

It is beginning to sound like this will run and run to no effect and no detriment to gaming the period. More importantly, what about the complete lack of 6pdrs in the ACW range. At least the APW/FPW has discernibly different models, even if they're not 100% accurate. I suppose I am used to the make do and mend approach to wargaming in the 60s and 70s.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

cameronian

You are many things my dear friend but boring is not one of them, keep up the good work.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

cameronian

Quote from: Leman on 18 August 2015, 10:34:55 AM
It is beginning to sound like this will run and run to no effect and no detriment to gaming the period. More importantly, what about the complete lack of 6pdrs in the ACW range. At least the APW/FPW has discernibly different models, even if they're not 100% accurate. I suppose I am used to the make do and mend approach to wargaming in the 60s and 70s.

From a gaming perspective I'm with you; personally I use the braced carriage to denote 6pdrs and the unbraced to denote 4pdrs, end of. On the other hand the sheer joy of delving isn't to be dismissed so lightly.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Chris Pringle

Quote from: cameronian on 18 August 2015, 11:33:15 AM
From a gaming perspective I'm with you; personally I use the braced carriage to denote 6pdrs and the unbraced to denote 4pdrs, end of. On the other hand the sheer joy of delving isn't to be dismissed so lightly.
Oh, I agree, notwithstanding my previous comment. The explosive bolts in the spats of late-model Stukas are unlikely to become relevant on my wargames table any time soon. But my life is richer and better for knowing they existed.

Chris

Leman

Agreed. Just don't let those things rule the roost of your approach to gaming.

cameronian

Absolutely right ... so its a minus 1 modifier for 6pdrs with the Wesener wedge breech then  ;)

mollinary

I hope everyone will game as they wish, whatever that involves, regardless of what others may think!   In accord with Cam, I suspect, I enjoy the research as much as the games.  When I offer information on here it is intended to help, not dictate to, people as to how to put together their forces,  I have gained enormously from other peoples' expertise shared on this forum, and share what I find out In tthe same spirit. I try and remember to quote my sources, so that others can make up their own minds. My own forces have many inaccuracies, partly owing to their evolution over time, identified as a result of my own gradually improving Google-fu.    Putting them right is not my highest priority, but if I am starting something new, I would like to get it right if possible.  Oh, and Cam, what a both a roll on a D100 against the chance of a breech explosion?  :-\

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leman

Well that's spurred me on to have a re-read of the 1866 book, especially as I'm now gaming a lot of RF&F. On Mollinary's last point, I started collecting PP WWI Belgians some time ago. On closer inspection, I have discovered, after painting, that the arrangement of gear on the back of the figure is inaccurate: haversack and entrenching tool have been transposed, and the rolled tent is depicted (which the infantry no longer carried). Oh well, thinks I. I needed reinforcements; guess what, the figures had been remodelled with the equipment now in the right position (but the tent is still there). Oh well ...... plough on.

Ithoriel

19 August 2015, 10:55:59 AM #39 Last Edit: 19 August 2015, 10:58:28 AM by Ithoriel
Quote from: Chris Pringle on 18 August 2015, 09:25:00 AM
Heresy, I know, but this whole debate strikes me as a good argument for gaming in 6mm where these details don't matter!

Chris

Or to play 10mm Ancients? Where next to nothing is known for certain about "uniforms."

Edited to change "unicorns" to "uniforms" .... perhaps predictive text has been looking at the new High Elves? Not sure how I managed to switch the darn thing on tbh.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Chris Pringle

Quote from: Ithoriel on 19 August 2015, 10:55:59 AM
Or to play 10mm Ancients? Where next to nothing is known for certain about "uniforms."

Edited to change "unicorns" to "uniforms" .... perhaps predictive text has been looking at the new High Elves? Not sure how I managed to switch the darn thing on tbh.

It would take a stronger argument than that to make me play ancients. I'd rather play unicorns - they'd be more historically accurate than most ancients games at our club.

Chris

Ithoriel

Quote from: Chris Pringle on 19 August 2015, 12:06:06 PM
It would take a stronger argument than that to make me play ancients. I'd rather play unicorns - they'd be more historically accurate than most ancients games at our club.

Chris

Each to their own Chris, I'd sooner play Sumerians vs Sassanids (preferably in the context of a campaign game) than refight a battle we already know the result of but it would be a dull old world if we all liked the same thing.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Chris Pringle

Quote from: Ithoriel on 19 August 2015, 01:17:57 PM
Each to their own Chris, I'd sooner play Sumerians vs Sassanids (preferably in the context of a campaign game) than refight a battle we already know the result of but it would be a dull old world if we all liked the same thing.

Each to their own, indeed. Different people want different things from games. Even round my BBB table you'll get quite different motivations. One player might be all about winning; another doesn't care what happens so long as he gets to do some spectacular charges; another will be really into the insight the game gives you into historical events; and yet another will just enjoy the colourful spectacle, the nice terrain, and the pretty uniforms.

Chris

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Chris Pringle on 18 August 2015, 09:25:00 AM

Chris

Tank that man out anr trample him with elephants.....

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Chris Pringle

By all means trample me with elephants.

So long as they are historically accurate.

And in 6mm or 10mm scale.

Chris