Steinmetz

Started by cameronian, 31 July 2015, 01:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cameronian

Thought I'd share this email from the translator, quite moving.

Hi Gerry,

As I was translating Fontane's extensive bibliographic sketch of General von Steinmetz I felt the need to learn more about this unusual man.  Fontane referred to spiritual experiences, visions of the deceased that the General experienced after the death of his only surviving and much loved , daughter Selma.  Quite frankly,  I needed more information before I would trust my own translation.

Fortunately I had recently come across a volume or letters and diary entries by von Steinmetz that were edited and presented in 1900 by Hans von Krosigk.  Sure enough,  I found a lengthy 17 page letter by von Steinmetz to a close friend, calmly and carefully describing a lengthy series of such spiritual experiences.  Von Steinmetz is so beautifully calm,  rational , yet deeply moved. I found myself deeply impressed by the sensitive and beautiful side of this notoriously hard boiled, demanding, driving commanding officer that I had never seen a glimpse of.  As I read further among his letters and diary entries,  extending from his early days as a youthful cadet to his later career as a Feldmarschall,  I must say that I developed a genuine affection for this remarkable man.

I realize that this volume is unlikely to ever make it onto the list of candidates for translation . . . by me or anyone else,  but I found it so delightful and  informative that I wanted to share this moment with you.

As for Fontane, the second part is off to an exciting start, just about to start the actual account of Nachod,  having read and reread both the Prussian and Austrian General Staff Studies,  plus Friedjung,  von Lettow - Vorbeck,  Regensburg and (in process) Kuhne.

Ted
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

mollinary

Wow, quite a teaser!  :o   :o

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leman

This all sounds very promising.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Sounds really interesting. Would love to know more about the man😃
Will
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

cameronian

Smashed through the Austrians at Nachod and Skalitz, didn't do much else in 1866. Blotted his copybook in 1870 (insubordinate) before really dropping one at Gravelotte when his insistence on suicidal frontal attacks shattered his corps. 
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Leman

He then had his command taken from him and was posted to govern part of Polish Prussia.

KTravlos

Such biographical sketches are always worthwhile imho. They humanize commanders and give us a view in the human part of war. You know, there maybe a history PhD (or sociology) which might be interested in this.

holdfast

Steinmetz' suicidal attacks at the Mance Ravine, Gravelotte suffered about 4,200 losses.
That was considerably less than those suffered by the Prussian Guard Corps at St Privat, which were about 8,000.
Steinmetz was sacked, as Cam observes. His Royal Highness, General of Cavalry Prince Augustus of Wurttemburg, the Guard Corps commander remained in post.
Funny old thing, that.

cameronian

It would appear that sh*t doesn't stick to Guards officers irrespective of nationality ... but then we knew that  >:(

Leman

Steinmetz main problem was not his casualties but his disregard of orders from von Moltke.

holdfast

Perhaps Leman, but all would have doubtless have been forgiven if the Mance Ravine attack had succeeded.
The Guard Corps attack may have been launched in order to get to the objective ahead of the Saxons, who were making a flank march which would and did eventually unhinge the French position.
The Guard made an equally bold/rash move at Koniggratz, and there they got away with it because the opposing two corps had been sucked into the Swiepwald through no action of the Guards.
So the St Privat attack may have been launched with a view to not missing out on the laurels and battle honours, especially since the Guard had not managed to get into action this far into the campaign.