Identifying a 70s Wargaming TV featurette

Started by Aksu, 24 July 2015, 03:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aksu

Hullo,
I am hoping one of the esteemed UK members might be able to help me on this: Sometime around 73-75 I saw on Finnish telly a British TV program featuring eccentic hobbies. One of the chaps featured in the show was a wargamer, who was preparing for a napoleonic (I think) battle in his garden. The battle could be averted if a courier could reach a general, or something, I was quite young at the time... As he had no suitable figure for a courier, he quickly cast and painted a figure. Alas, too late, battle starts, cue puffs of smoke and figures keeling over in the garden.
Does this ring any bells, or have I imagined this all in my then-ten year old mind? What was the show?
Cheers,
Aksu

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Aksu

24 July 2015, 03:42:11 PM #2 Last Edit: 24 July 2015, 03:44:12 PM by Aksu
well, one does try to enjoy a nice break between painting sessions... Otherwise all resemblance to moomins is purely conincidental.

FierceKitty

Those books meant a lot to me in my young years. :)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

Sounds like Charles Grant senior having a jape, or perhaps Peter Young.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

SV52

There was a series (Model World) of fond memory in days of yore (OK i'm an old git), presented by a chap named Bob Symes-Schutzman, he was a scion of the Austro-Hungarian Empire I believe.  A somewhat stout chap with a full set, looked a bit like old King Edward.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Aksu

Quote from: SV52 on 24 July 2015, 07:36:56 PM
There was a series (Model World) of fond memory in days of yore (OK i'm an old git), presented by a chap named Bob Symes-Schutzman, he was a scion of the Austro-Hungarian Empire I believe.  A somewhat stout chap with a full set, looked a bit like old King Edward.
You mean this one, looks absolutely brilliant! http://youtu.be/9fkZwUYOBMk
Cheers,
Aksu

SV52

Yup, that's the one; there was an episode on model soldiers.  If memory serves and at my age why should it, it involved a vignette of the Indian Mutiny.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

clibinarium

I have vague memories of Model World, and there was at least one military episode among all the railways and such. I my mind I can kinda picture an AWI set up and distances being measured with rulers.  I think it was made in the 70s so I must have caught a repeat of it, possibly early 90s?
Sadly Bob died in January of this year.

Fenton

My Dad bought The Model World book that had lots of plans , we built the frigate and the glider which we flew in the local park (Lady Dixon) for any locals who wish to know
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Maenoferren

I still have the Model World book somewhere.
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Techno

Quote from: clibinarium on 24 July 2015, 09:27:28 PM
Sadly Bob died in January of this year.

When I was VERY young, Bob used to live a few doors up the road from my childhood home.
I can remember a 'biggish' model railway in his back garden....But I don't remember seeing any other types of models, like soldiers, from those days. (We're talking late 50s to early 60s)
He was a really nice chap, and I was sorry to hear he'd passed away.

Cheers - Phil

Steve J

I remember a programme with him where Roy Dilley (?) was modelling some trenches in the Western Desert in WWII. One of the Airfix soldiers was converted to look like him and IIRC then appeared in the Airfix magazine.