WSS Dutch Grenadiers

Started by tzen67, 24 August 2010, 09:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tzen67

Which WSS Grenadiers do people use for the Dutch Grenadiers?

Many thanks,
Andy

Chad

I use the low mitre MAL9. Dutch grenadier hats seem to be a law to themselves, but this one seems a good choice to me.

Chad

maciek

Grenadiers of Blue Guards wore bearskins.
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm

2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

tzen67

Chad

Maciek

Agreed. I was 'speaking' generally. Which do you use for that. MAL10?

Chad

maciek

Chad, of course, your answer was right, but I wanted to remark, that there were some exceptions.
Generally "low mitre" is good for Dutch grenadiers, but may require some adjustments (I remember one regiment with caps resembling prussian fusilers - metal frontplate divided from cloth).
I didnt do Guards and I dont even remember how their caps look like, or is there any source for it, because if it was reconstructed from description, it can have differnt shape, depending the artist who draw it.
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm

2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Chad

Maciek

Sorry if I 'sounded' a little abrupt. I haven't done the Guard either.

Mark Allen did some articles in Miniiature Wargames some time ago and showed the Garde te Voet Grenadier in a short mitre. He dated it c1688-90. Then there is the print of a grenadier at Malplaquet, which is believed to be a Dutch Guard in a full fur bonnet. I have always preferred to use the short mitre, but only on the basis that the print is the only fur bonnet I have seen ascribed to the Dutch. Also since their were Imperial troops at Malplaquet under Eugene's command, I tend to believe (rightly or wrongly) that it is more probable that the figure is from an Imperial regiment and so more likely to wear a fur cap.

As I read on another forum, information on this period is so inconclusive in some areas you can never really be right or wrong.

Chad