ITLSU 1914 reinforcements

Started by pierre the shy, 09 July 2015, 09:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre the shy

09 July 2015, 09:59:34 AM Last Edit: 09 July 2015, 10:09:56 AM by pierre the shy
Well got home to NZ OK last week.

Got some very good stuff on early WW1 while I was away so feeling inspired  ;)

A few days later my order that I dropped off at PM HQ arrived  8)

Mainly some reinforcements for the 1914 BEF and German stuff that I already have: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,10195.360.html

For the BEF:
a Motor Machine Gun Battery (OK a bit early but good for our semi-fictonal early war games) 3 x M/cycle combos with Maxim or Vickers in the sidecar plus HQ
a divisional level heavy artillery battery (2 x 60 pdr stands)
more Vickers MMG stands to give two stands per battalion for 1915 games (The BEF can be used for ANZAC's)
a mountain gun battery (3 x 10pdr BL mountain guns) plus mule trains for when on the move. Again mainly for ANZACs. They are TINY models!

For the Germans:
another 2 companies of infantry and a Regimental MG coy to bring the regiment to full strength of 13 companies (3 bttns).
a Jager Battalion - including MG coy and Cyclist coy, to round out the GerAugust 1914.man Cavalry Division.
a Foot Artillery heavy howitzer battery (2 x 150mm stands)
MG carts for the Cavalry Division's MG battery (3 stands)
Some FPW standard bearers to add to the infantry battalion and regimental/brigade HQ stands (largely for appearances but some German regiments did carry their colours uncased during the initial invasion of Belgium in August 1914 - at least two were captured by the Belgians).

This time I'm going to paint the guns and vehicles myself  :o

Paul has kindly agreed to once agian paint up the figures for me - once he has the last of his AWI stuff done.

Already got some more stuff in mind that would be good to have  - a few engineer stands and some further limbers.....maybe some French and Belgians..... :-\  ;)

So look out for some progress reports on these over the next little while.

Chow
Peter

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Techno

Pleased to hear you got home safely, Peter.  :-bd

Look forward to seeing the guns and vehicles.  :)

Cheers - Phil

Leman

According to the book I am reading, Invasion 1914, some German units uncased their colours in the advance to the Marne as well, against the French troops, who themselves also carried uncased colours into battle in August and September.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

paulr

13 July 2015, 08:44:11 PM #3 Last Edit: 13 July 2015, 08:47:36 PM by paulr
Peter dropped off the figures; 6 British MG teams, 3 German MG teams and a Jäger Battalion (including standard)

One of the two annual conventions is in mid August and we are going to do the Affair at Nery on the Sunday. I need to get the MGs done by then :!!

Cleaned up the limited flash on the MGs before heading off for work this morning :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

MG teams now on painting rods waiting for the day to warm enough to be undercoated :-w

paulr

MG teams undercoated and base coated  :)

paulr

Dry brushed uniforms, skin base colour done

paulr

No progress yesterday :( :-[

My son & his girlfriend had flown up from Christchurch for his birthday so spent the day with them ;)

We visited the Great War Exhibition :) They have altered the layout of the NZ room so that now the first part of the diorama you see is the Apex. My son stopped, "it's BIG". Then he moved forward and started to see the rest of it, he went quiet ;D

We spotted a few figures that are probably ones he painted, always hard to be sure ;)

I was pleased to see that the Exhibition is still attracting significant numbers of people :D

pierre the shy

I haven't had a lot of time to do that much lately but I have now assembled all the guns and vehicles ready for painting.

Also "converted" the m/c combos for the Motor MG battery by adding a Vickers to each side car.

Absolutely freezing here in Wellington currently so the painting may not get done today.

Been playing around with my Nery scenario a bit - trying to balance what happened with what might happen on the table if Germans are more aggressive.

As its a refight I'm taking approach that I can limit where units can deploy and what orders they can be issued with. 
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

The balance between limiting the players enough so it is still a refight and allowing them enough scope to make it an interesting game is always interesting to find :-\

I'm having similar challenges with Camden

Made some progress on the MG teams and the Militia this morning :)

paulr

MGs, rifles & entrenching tools painted  :)

distracted by 'taxi duties'  :(

Techno

Paul.
Get you priorities right !
Tell those who are abusing your good nature, that there's an impatient old git, the other side of the World , waiting to see some more pictures of your soldiers.  ;)
Cheers - Phil

paulr

;D ;D ;D

The recuperation time would delay my painting even more ;)

Very cold last night so limited painting, highlighted MGs

paulr

I've made good progress over the last few days :)

British MG teams ready for touch ups and then wash :) :)
German MG teams almost ready for touch ups, just rifle and bread bag straps to do :) :)

The bases are also prepared ready to paint :)

paulr

Rifle & bread bag straps done so touch ups tonight :)

Both sides of bases done (including AWI bases), second coat on top and edges to do :)