Never knew I was Robin Hood.

Started by Bodvoc, 07 July 2015, 02:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bodvoc

This weekend just gone, I treated my wife and teenage daughters to an activity weekend  at a centre by Newcastleton in the Scottish Borders. We had great fun kyaking and mountain biking (which we do a lot of). The big surprise came when we had a go at archery. I have never done this before but surprised both myself and my family by being comparatively good set against my wife and the girls. Seems like I am the  Robin Hood of my family.
I wont mention kyaking where I spent most of the time paddling in circles!
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Maenoferren

Shorten the paddle lenght a bit on your dominant side, that should help a bit 😀
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

FierceKitty

I remember too well the feeling of a bowstring against my left inner forearm. No wonder I preferred fencing.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Luddite

I'm a surprisingly good archer.

Axe throwing on the other hand.  The target is entirely safe.  Everything else within 10 yards isn't.

Also, my limited foray into clay pigeon shooting with a fowling piece resulted in a 5% hit rate.  Apparently I was aiming at the target, but my barrels weren't.

Use to be a pretty good shot with a paintball gun marker (tut) though.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Bodvoc

It also turned out that I was a left handed archer, maybe the Warband Barbarians were modelled on me...? Are any of them small, skinny and wear glasses?
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Leon

I had something similar when we visited Sherwood Forest a few years back and they had an archery range set up for visitors.  My first shot was dead on bullseye, which was quite the surprise to me, and led me to thinking I had some untapped natural skills.  My following 4 shots quickly destroyed that fantasy.

I'm not too shabby with an air rifle and have got a single trophy somewhere in the loft from my younger years.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

JimLeCat

I used to practice archery regularly and was fairly good at it. That I understood since I knew what I was doing.

The one time I tried clay pigeon shooting, I got the 10 minute safety drill and the 2 minute drill on how to shoot the clays, then tried shooting them - and kept hitting them! What I couldn't work out was how - it felt like taking a guess every time rather than actually aiming. I went back to archery since I understood it and you didn't need ear defenders!

I've never tried throwing axes, or any sharp objects, which is just as well judging by (lack of) ability at ball sports...

Techno

Quote from: Bodvoc on 07 July 2015, 04:53:33 PM
Are any of them small, skinny and wear glasses?

No....People would think I'd modeled them on myself.

Had a go at field archery LONG ago.....That was great fun !
Clay pigeon shooting ?....Yep...Even more fun, but I didn't hit many of the clays. :(

Like Leon....Not too bad with an air rifle.

Cheers - Phil

Last Hussar

As a teen I went to our Village fete (in the grounds of the manor house, relatives of the Queen Mother!)

I had a go at air pistol.  I was high and right - in the 7's.  However they were all grouped.  The guy wanted me to join the club, as the aim can be corrected - the grouping is what they needed.  However they met on the same day as the RPG/wargames club, so I turned them down.

I wasn't bad fencer at Uni - my natural style was quite good, but I couldn't get better easily - the instructor said he needed to train away my bad bits, so I would have got worse before I got better.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Used to be unclassified with SMG, 2nd class with SLR, and marksman with an LMG.

No idea why.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

I have th hand eye co'ordination of a warthog (that took 90 seconds to write),
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

I used to be fairly handy with bow and arrow, but haven't shot for a few years. Now I have a permanent shake in my left arm so I doubt I'll be as good as I was then :(. Due to take the kids for a shoot at some point this summer so will find out then...

Ithoriel

Did a weekend archery taster course when I was just out of uni.

Drove the instructor mad.

All 6 arrows in the first end in gold ... on the target next to mine!!

Didn't improve much over the weekend :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

skywalker

I have tried archery and crossbow shooting at Centre Parcs, I wasn't too bad. Paintballing on the other hand I was more of a danger to my own side  ;D ;D

fred.

I've done Archery a couple of times at Centre Parcs and the like - the last time I seemed to get worse as we went round the course  :(

Haven't shot an air rifle since I was a kid - seem to remember that I could hit things - but that pellets were always in short supply.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts