This time it's personal - Another Dwarves vs Dragonmen AAR

Started by stenicplus, 05 July 2015, 08:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

Another interesting report - its a shame you keep ending up with linear battles. We have had some good battles with the warband scenarios and these force movement, and different tactics, rather than the gunline.

Do you roll for placement of terrain, then choice of sides of the table (p13 and p14)? The Dwarves seem to end with very favourable deployment in most of the games.

Also was the Dwarven general not affected by impetuous?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

stenicplus

Indeed, we've been doing straight up battles for a while, hence going for a random scenario. Sod's law we rolled Grudge Match and so it made no real difference.

Yes, we do roll for terrain placement, but we've never rolled to then pick which side of the table to play from, where's that in the rules? Is it scenario specific? Grudge Match just said do terrain as normal.

Yeap, the Dwarven general did race off but only once towards then end; I held back motivation points to be able to try and generate motivation successes for movement to ensure he did not rush off. Dave's Dragonmen general lost control twice, on the first turn and towards the end at the same time as mine.

The plan is to try more scenarios but re-roll any Grudge Match results  ;)

Luddite

Excellent report again sir.   :-bd

Yet again, advancing into the front of a dwarven gun line proved to be somewhat difficult!   ;D

Clearly the commander of the dragon men REALLY hated that dwarf king.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Chieftain

Quote from: fred12dfDo you roll for placement of terrain, then choice of sides of the table (p13 and p14)? The Dwarves seem to end with very favourable deployment in most of the games.

Quote from: stenicplusYes, we do roll for terrain placement, but we've never rolled to then pick which side of the table to play from, where's that in the rules?

Very interesting point.  It's not explicitly stated who gets which side of the battlefield to deploy in.

Terrain placement is completed, then an initiative roll is made to determine which side begins army deployment.  
Unless playing a scenario, the player that deploys first (actually the initiative loser!) can choose which side to deploy onto.  
The opponent then deploys in the opposite deployment zone.

This of course will have a considerable impact on what terrain you choose, and how you decide to place it.  Setting up impassable terrain to defend 'your' flanks is risky, as your opponent may get to choose that deployment zone!
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

stenicplus

Ahh. That makes deployment very different. Most rules that we play that have stand-up battles have tended to make it explicit. I don't think anyone in our group even considered it.

Steve J

Most rules that I play have this as standard deployment, to try and make sure that terrain placement is even to both sides.

fred.

So what is the intended deployment rule?

Is it, choose table edge, select and place terrain, choose scenario, then deploy

Or
select and place terrain, choose scenario, select roles in secenario, select table edges (unless specified by scenario), then deploy

I'd mis-read the rules, as I thought the initiative winner deployed first (and there by selected table edge)

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

madpax

It seems the FAQ have been updated according to set-up.

Marc

fred.

Ta, hadn't spotted that update. Or read Chieftan's post above as an actual rule update  :-[

Chieftain

Quote from: fred    12df on 06 July 2015, 07:00:29 PM
So what is the intended deployment rule?

As addressed above.   :)

Just to expand further, I've rarely seen or participated in a play test or post-released game where, after placing terrain the players have not deployed on 'their' side of the table.  Generally players seem to be able to get terrain that is generally favourable for them, and they're happy to pick the side they're currently on.  However, if that Hill dwarf player sets up a nice hill line on 'his side' and you get the initiative to choose, you can choose to set up on that hill!

Terrain placement, and how that relates to the units in your army and your battle plan is quite important.
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

stenicplus

Quote from: fred    12df on 06 July 2015, 07:23:53 PM
Ta, hadn't spotted that update. Or read Chieftan's post above as an actual rule update  :-[

Ditto. I failed to read the FAQ so hadn't spotted that. I had wondered why in other battle reports terrain was more 'random', seemingly confering no advantage either way. Doh! ;D