Timelapse video of our final Longstreet game

Started by Aksu, 01 July 2015, 08:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aksu

Hullo,
I made a timelapse video of our last Longstreet campaign game. See a battle plan unfold and implode in four minutes!  :-[ At our club website
http://www.the-ancients.com/gemigabok/longstreet-battle-in-video/
Cheers,
Aksu

Leman

Gosh that looked such fun. makes me want to have another Longstreet campaign. Great looking table as well.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

paulr

A really interesting way to show a game :)

A monior point, I found the captions disappeared a bit quick for me
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

So did I til I discovered that tapping the mouse paused it. Like the idea of the Golden Turk Zouaves.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ithoriel

Nicely done!

Something almost hypnotic about it.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

Nice table! Just watching now, really reminds me of old time silent movies. I half expected someone to walk in with a plank on one shoulder and knock everyone down ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Aksu

Hullo,
Thanks for the comments and apologies for the text overlay / end credits hyperspeed. I promise to mend my ways for the next flick. One of our chaps reminded me that one should be able to read the text three times while it is on screen. Oops.
I need to take a few pics of the armies, almost all of the figs are Pendraken, there are a few Cracker Line and Magister Militum mixed in, perhaps I'll try and put them in the background :)
Anyway, this campaign was a great inspiration to start making a proper table, terrain and various bits and bobs for my man cave where this game took place. I really did not realise how much stuff I need when I don't have access to any of the club terrain.
Cheers,
Aksu

Norm

I liked the idea very much, but struggled a bit to keep up with the frantic pace, it may well be the movement of people that draws the eye away from the game.

As a suggestion, could the the video either be slowed down a tad - or when it goes to a text bit, perhaps the screen should freeze, so that the reader is not  pulled between trying to read and keeping an eye on the ongoing action.

Anyway, an interesting way to take in an AAR, nice to see something new being done.

Techno

fred.

I do like the look of the table, have you streatched the base cloth over the hills? It seems to fit them very nicely.

I found the movement of the players too distracting in the video - perhaps try zooming in a bit more?

I tried a time lapse of one of my games a couple of years ago, and discovered that a combat in a wargame isn't very cinematic - you have troops  stood next to each other, then you have fewer troops stood next to each other. Movement looked slightly better - but still was a bit of a teleport from starting location to end location.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Aksu

Hullo,
Thanks for all the comments on how to improve the "watchability" of the video. I will probably try the next one with a smaller camera e.g. a gopro mounted directly above the table. Hmm... might do a solo game just to try it out  8->
About the terrain: the cloth was stretched over the stepped hills I have. The cloth is thin fleece, olive green with some darker spots sponge-painted on. Will probably spray some lighter colours on it some day. Anyway - thin fleece is absolutely brilliant! It caught my eye in a local fabric store where I usually just stare into the middle distance while the missus is doing her shopping. Fleece stretches a bit and follows the contours very nicely indeed. And looks the part close up as well.
The roads are cut from faux-leather, some ruts are painted on and the sides are textured with pumice gel with green paint added, and drybrushed. When the pumice gel dries it sort of grabs on to the fleece, and the roads stay put. Brilliant!
Fences are made with toothpicks and slivers of thin wood cut from the posh packaging of some artisanal bread. Eye of the wargamer spots wondrous things...
Cheers,
Aksu

paulr

Well done that man =D>

I love the ways we manage to re-purpose stuff  ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Nosher

Really must get around to making a start on my 6mm ACW which I bought nearly five years ago......
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Subedai

Keeps coming up with the error message for me!
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!