Undead vs Elves game

Started by madpax, 28 June 2015, 07:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madpax

What I regret most about the undead army is the very 'unbalance' between general and the army itself. Usually, the general is 'bland', ie, a not particular unit, but you can field many kinds of units, be them cheap infantry or a particularly expensive and powerful monster. Here, you have either a very powerful vampire lord with all options, or a poor undead commander but still expensive, and units that look like similar, ie expensive, slow and not really powerful. At least, none seems to  shine outside of the lot.
Exemples:
- The skeletal archers are 50% more expensive than their elven counterpart. On the plus side, better MO and  fear. on the minus side, they are slower and have poorer range. On a confrontation, I wouldn't bet much on the undead side.
- Warriors?  it's worse. If taking into account that fear will reduce enemy ML, the low side for skeletal is both that they are slow and have poor PR. When fighting a 'regular' opponent, you will either face more units with more or less the same power but faster, and a better general who will be cheaper (after all, in those regular armies, the commander is there to command, not to fight)
- It's difficult to choose a gode optional unit for elves, as they are numerous and interesting. A powerful dragon, tree elementals, unicorns, water elemental, those can stand beside the regular units. Undead? Three kinds of poor flyers, more or less the same. No unit with more than ML 2d6 , somme with good PR and outstanding MO but no unit that would really 'strike the fear' for me. To malke myself clear, if someone field goblins, I would say that as along as trolls , or giants and ogres, are far from ok, everything should be OK. If someone fields an undead, I should proceed with caution if there is an uber vampire lord, otherwise, I wouldn't much care.
To suimmarize :
Being forced to buy an expensive vampire lord to be able to have a good commander is a minus for me.
Not to be able to field a powerful (as there is none) is a minus.
Not being able to field many units is a minus.

It may be succesful or not, what I regret is that I won't command a skeletal horde if I field an undead army. Mostly, it would be a vampire lord (1d6+2) powerful, regenerating and skirmish I would send into the fray alone, maybe a flyer to block fall back, and some skeletals that I should take care not to engage. Not the kind of undead army I'd like to command.

Marc