Show: Warfare, Reading

Started by Leon, 25 June 2015, 12:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Steve J

Would like to pop down by most likely doing family stuff. The FPW game sounds good and of great interest. You never know...

fsn

In other contexts that sentence could be so wrong.

Or so right?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald: 2024 - Silver Medal (Cavalry)
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

NeilCFord

Definitely going to be there on the Saturday as I have a metric f*ck tonne of stuff to collect.

- Neil.

fsn

Ah! For a moment there I thought you meant Fetric McTonne. who was the well known Scottish poet and nationalist, who spent the 1840s hiding in the heather from the redcoats who weren't looking for him. He is well known to Pendraken through the conversation he had with our own Techno whom he met under a cairn on Skye in October 1843. Techno had set out three months earlier to buy a pair of shoes in Milford Haven, but had turned right at his gate instead of left, and become "a bit lost".

Their conversation was recorded by McTonne in his diary: "Today I was discovered by a strange figure. At first I thought that some evil nightmare had risen from a cold grave to haunt me, sent no doubt by the accursed witch-queen." (editors note: McTonne always referred to the young Queen Victoria as "the accursed witch-queen") It shuffled on bleeding feet, unshod apart from the uppers of a pair of pinchbeck shoes which flapped about its ankles as it gibed along the road. For the rest of its attire there was naught but some kind of sheet or shroud wrapped around a bony body, and of its face I could see nothing, for it was so wreathed in long, white, matted hair - as one would see on the rear portions of unclipped sheep - as to leave naught of the features that would distinguish it as human.

Coming upon me suddenly, crouched under my cairn, it started in, I suppose, fright. Certainly it gave physical evidence of distress. It backed away some ten paces, then ten paces more when I brandished my dirk. Perceiving no other life, the weird creature could find no succour to its distress but to approach me. It advanced, as nervous as a kitten in a dog-yard and I could see that it struggled to form sound kind of human speech. Throaty noises, growls and whines emitted from the matted and filthy head, until I could discern the first stirrings of intelligence. The wretched creature gave a mighty cough, and from somewhere in its hairy countenance flew the bone of some creature that had the ill luck to cross its path.

'Excuse me.' It said. 'Could you tell me the way to Milford Haven?' I pondered this request.
'No. Be off and take that physical sign of distress with you!' I replied.
'Thank you very much.' responded the creature.  It then turned in all directions, until seeing one that it found more pleasing, or less displeasing than the others, it stumbled off. 

I never saw it again."

Editor's note. Techno eventually made the Milford Haven shoe shop in 1848. It took him a further two years to find his way home, by which time his shoes were worn out.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

You are dog meat ! (Again.....You Oik, Nobby !)  ;D
(Me !!.....Make a pair of shoes last two years ?.....I think not...... I'm really lucky if I get 6 months wear out of them.)
Cheers - Phil.

Aksu

Order sent. Must not run out of unpainted shiny toys  ;)
Cheers,
Aksu

Westmarcher

Quote from: fsn on 06 November 2015, 05:15:45 PM
Ah! For a moment there I thought you meant Fetric McTonne. who was the well known Scottish poet and nationalist etc.

Classic!  ;D ;D =D>  =D>

P.S. We know about Techno but whatever happened to Fetric McTonne?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leon

Orders received, we'll get those done!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fsn

Fetric McTonne? It was really sad actually. After his encounter with Techno, he realised that his great idea (a very simple and yet elegant solution to the Schleswig-Holstein Problem) had gone from his brain. He became convinced that his shaggy visitor had magicked his idea from him on the behest of the accursed Witch-Queen. In order to break the spell, he searched Skye for the shaman, and then the other Hebrides, his search ending in Milford Haven, where he arrived at least 4 years before Techno. Searching for a person with a face like a sheep's bum in Milford Haven is a bit like looking for a gentlemen in the Royal Horse Guards, and so after weeks of fruitless searching, Fetric set up a cobblers shop.

Fetric should have stuck to his last, for he was a terrible shoe repairer. One day, he managed to drive a small nail into his thumb. He ignored the minor injury, but it soon became infected and he died.  

Ironically, his funeral was halted by a shambling figure asking for directions.

Westmarcher

;D

Quote from: fsn on 06 November 2015, 08:30:59 PM
Fetric McTonne? ...... One day, he managed to drive a small nail into his thumb. ........

Were he and Techno brothers?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno

S*d off.....The pair of you.  :P
Today.....For the first time in ages, I managed to stick a scalpel in my thumb.......Opening a package from that nice Mr Leon.*
(I can never open those brown padded envelopes without the fluffy padding going all over the floor. X_X )

Cheers - Phil

*Don't worry Leon......I've cleaned all the blood from those two figures.  :D

Westmarcher

Quote from: Techno on 06 November 2015, 10:26:05 PM
Today.....For the first time in ages, I managed to stick a scalpel in my thumb.......Opening a package from that nice Mr Leon.*
(I can never open those brown padded envelopes without the fluffy padding going all over the floor. X_X )

Cheers - Phil

;D  ;D

Ithoriel

Brown padded envelopes don't faze me, too much practice opening them when working in IT. Did remind me of an incident though.

Server Tech: Paddy bag, open it for me, would you.
Me: It's parts for the server, why don't you open it?
Server Tech: Reception got a bomb in a paddy bag the other day!
Me: It was an incendiary that would have been hard pushed to light a cigarette. Besides, Mail Room are checking all the packages as a result.
Server Tech: Can you set up this server?
Me: Possibly ... but probably not.
Server Tech: Do you want to explain to the boss why I couldn't set this server up in time?
Me: !!! Pass me that bag!

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Fenton

Cheers - Phil

Unbelievable!.

I think this is apt its a  quote that famous play  by Dai the Scribbler The Sculptor of Pembroke

If we get within 10 feet of  a workbench, do we not bleed?

I can't remember the rest just at the moment
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!