Post war/ "Modern" wish list

Started by Sunray, 23 August 2010, 03:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

24 September 2015, 12:15:45 PM #120 Last Edit: 24 September 2015, 01:55:43 PM by Sunray
Yes indeed 60th anniversary !  In 1990, my work took me to the Peto Institute in Budapest, and I had a limited opportunity to visit  Hospk Tere (Heroes Square ) . This was only months after the re- internment of Imre Nagy which marked the most blatant peoples' protest against Soviet occupation and I believe led directly to the collapse of communism in eastern Europe.

[ No more subsidised road trips for Comrade  Corbyn ]

At that time the bullet marked walls and repaired battle damage was still very visible.  

But I would like to hear from Lurch.  He has envisaged the Uprising game.  Would personality type figures - and Phil would do us proud with his sculpts - enhance the wargame you had in mind ?

I looked at my N gauge real estate - I have quite a few city block buildings from  Kestral . KD23 is useful as it can be given a flat roof,
Graham Farish low relief card fronts are around £4 and Ten Commandments who as the name suggests cast in plaster.
  They also do a very useful prefab type bungalow at  £5  which can be painted as a barrack hut.

Some years ago 1920s era gangster figures were talked about.  Perhaps a 20th century civilian range that encapsulates resistance fighters, gangsters, secret agents, Warsaw uprising  and 1956 Budapest freedom fighters might have a market.

GrumpyOldMan

Hello Sunray

I've found the downloadable buildings from Hawk to be very handy for cityscapes http://www.hawkwargames.com/blogs/downloadable-buildings

They have a number of Art Deco buildings available. I've had to modify some to remove evidence of air conditioning but still handy.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Sunray

Cheers Vic - a really useful find!

In addition to the city blocks,  I have ordered their fighter stands for my 1/144 plastic aircraft. 

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Those are the old Epic ones, always been useful.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Howling Hank

Jagdpanze kanone would be awesome as well as the early Cold War regulars.

Mako

Count me in for all of the early Bundeswehr, much of which can serve in the US, Danish, and other armies too.

Forgot to mention those nice little Soviet BMD-1s as well, which are very useful from the 1970s - today, in Ukraine, and other threaters/countries, if needed as well.

Howling Hank

Add the Saladin and of course theT-10 to the mix, to go up against the M-103 tank.
Thank you.

jeffb

1950's-to present day African infantry in beret/bush hat/field cap-Western/Communist with small arms and heavy weapons.
Israeli inf in field cap with Uzi, Ak47 and RPG-"Raid on Entebbe".
Land Rover with Recoil Rifle.
European Terrorists.
Hostages.

Jeff
Wigan turnin Blue-My arse!!!
The future is bright, the future is Cherry & White
ANCIENT & LOYAL 1872
Wigan RLFC not just a religion
RIP Marley, Bob, you'll always be my babies xxxxx

Heedless Horseman

Hi. Must say I've been trying to stay away from the Moderns...far too much unfinished/unstarted projects! But the Falklands Brits are crying out to be used for BAOR on exercise or Cold War gone hot...lovely figs! How about FV432's closed or open hatch...as in mortar carriers?
Were they just to be used only as 'battle-busses'...to be got out from as quick as pos! Or, were some troops likely to have given fire support from open hatches? (Separate commanders with GPMGs would be nice!).
Am toying with getting a couple of Minifigs 432's, but Pendraken Scorpions are better sculpts than theirs...so...any in the pipeline?
And maybe the odd Chieftan 5 or three, though that's a LOT of metal to put on a 10mm table!
Cheers!

(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

13 December 2015, 09:49:06 AM #130 Last Edit: 13 December 2015, 11:30:02 AM by mad lemmey
Centurion BARV, one made it to the Falklands!
http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2012/08/the-beach-recovery-vehicle/

*editted for the right tank*
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sunray

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 13 December 2015, 12:55:14 AM
Hi. Must say I've been trying to stay away from the Moderns...far too much unfinished/unstarted projects! But the Falklands Brits are crying out to be used for BAOR on exercise or Cold War gone hot...lovely figs! How about FV432's closed or open hatch...as in mortar carriers?
Were they just to be used only as 'battle-busses'...to be got out from as quick as pos! Or, were some troops likely to have given fire support from open hatches? (Separate commanders with GPMGs would be nice!).
Am toying with getting a couple of Minifigs 432's, but Pendraken Scorpions are better sculpts than theirs...so...any in the pipeline?
And maybe the odd Chieftan 5 or three, though that's a LOT of metal to put on a 10mm table!
Cheers!

The  432 evolved from the FV400 as a tracked APC -a battle-bus as you describe it.  You (a section)  sat facing  inwards and there were no external vision devices - apart from driver and commander - when buttoned up.  The only weapon that could be deployed was the GPMG on the commanders hatch.  Yes, you could open the four piece roof hatch, but that would only allow about 5 or 6 fully equipped soldiers to stand unsupported and try to assume a firing position.   Unlike your figures we could not Suoerglue their feet to the floor.

They would be exposed to incoming fire.  The movement of the vehicle was like trying to shoot from a galloping horse and remember the LIAI is single shot.

To give fire support to mechanised infantry some were fitted with a Peak GPMG turret and extra smoke and the Berlin FF had a version with the 30mm Rarden . There was also a REME adaption of a twin GPMG . It was know as the SCAT allegedly as it was made to an MoD budget and Should Cost A Tenner!

The other personal memory from spending time travelling in a closed down 432 was that when time came to de bus,  there was a serious disorientation for those vital first few minutes, and you generally took cover until you could asses the local conditions, features and situation.   

Quite a few 432s  made it to Suffield and our Canadian cousins said they preferred them to the ubiquitous M113 with the traditional steel plate giving a bit more comfort against mines.

steve_holmes_11

Does Pendraken have any plans for a "Disgraced former Defence Secretary" figure?

Keen collectors will require at least 3 different poses.

Glorfindel

I would quite like a model of his replacement !   I'm sure this puts me in a 
club of one but I think she is a 'horsey looker'...    :d

Phil