Post war/ "Modern" wish list

Started by Sunray, 23 August 2010, 03:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

The WW2 wish list was a really good discussion and threw up a lot of useful links - and hopefully stimulated the design/casting process.

It also strayed a little into post war...what with Centurions with 105mm and T55s etc.

So ....here goes with a thread for a post war/modern wish list.   I have couched it as primaraly post war, because the periodization could run unchecked
for 50 years...a reality check of what will have prime demand amongst gamers will focus on the 1950s- late 1970 (say up to the Yom Kippur War)
and all those bush wars in between.  This would allow Pendraken to build on the Indo China/Vietnam ranges with items such as the T55, PT-65,
M41 and M48...

then perhaps add a few common items like the British Ferret and French AMX13 and Panhard AML-90...

Anyway...that's  the thread open and the tracer laid....blaze away boys.  What do you wish for ?

Raider4

Quote from: Sunray on 23 August 2010, 03:41:02 PM
.....  What do you wish for ?
Umm, everything?

More seriously, off the top of my head:
  Centurion, 20-pdr, both with & without side-skirts.
  Centurion, 105mm.
  M48A3 (for USMC in Vietnam)
  M41
  T54/55/62

And that's just the must havetanks, IMO.

Then you get onto APC's and armoured cars - Saracen & Saladin, probably other British stuff I can't think of. You've already got the M113 - any other US stuff?. And you'll also need whatever the Soviets used (BMP? BTR?)

Cheers, Martyn

zaapark

Cold War stuff ........  1970 to late 1980's.  USSR vs UK, or East German vs West German, or USSR vs USA, or Iran vs Iraq ...............
chris

Raider4

Thnking about it a bit more (sorry for the rambling reply earlier), finish the existing post-war range first - Vietnam.

So, 20-pdr Centurions for the Aussies, M41 and M48A3 for the US, PT76 and T-54 for the NVA, plus any other lighter vehicles, towed guns and infantry that are needed to fill out the range.

Then I'd like a range for the 50's and 60's - so 105mm Centurions, M48's, T-55 and T-62 etc.

Cheers, Martyn

Sunray

Ok,  so far we have been wishing kit.  What about figures ?  What is key  wish list for troop types ?

nikharwood

The massively obvious gap in 10mm is Brits with SLRs & Gimpies...and Bergens. Oh - and their Argie oppos of course  ;D

Stretches the "end-date" to '82 as well.

Sunray

yes, but please tell the designer that on "contact" the first thing you get rid off ...is the Bergen.  In the killing zone,  troops wisely shed kit. So by all means have 'soldier, beret etc, SLR, bergen, yomping'   in classic Falklands pose, but for action poses, get down to basic 58 web.   

Matchbox did a 'soft plastic' box of 1/76 'Falkland 'paras in the late 1980s and they were very well crafted indeed.

nikharwood

Yep - good point to differentiate between these...I still want some yomping though:

8)

big dave

I would say having just noticed how expensive minifigs have become Pendraken should do a full 20th range! But especially the Soviet stuff as its usefull for lots of other armies.

jchaos79

I would be interested in the Nam range to see a Huey destroyed in the ground. Could be interested for scenario games, scenography and static modellesim.

Also could be easy (I think to do), just get a huey figure, break its tail, battle damage it, and all this sort of things that happens when crush down. Then take a mould... and you know the rest :)

YORSTONS

Infantry for the middle east please,plus all the other bits on the list.

Sunray

Quote from: nikharwood on 23 August 2010, 10:17:36 PM
Yep - good point to differentiate between these...I still want some yomping though:

8)

Totally agree Nik, the image and model of a '45 marine' yomping is the lasting icon of the Falklands war.   The other mistake modellers make is to produce Agries who look like 'Michilin men' - not all troops had the padded winter  clothing. The majority were in temperate combats.

As as cropped up on the threads befoe - icons apart -  it is better to design the generic types, like Gripping Beast Falklands British who can be used any time from 1960 to late 1980s. this also appies to WARSAW pACK types
Anyway. A heavy parcel arrived from Leon today, so I will be QRT for a while...Sunray Out.

greatpatton

ARVN to complete the nam range... Currently working on new armies for Charlie don't surf and I don't think that ARVN are available in 10mm...

mike40k

Don't know if there would be many others interested, but an African Wars range would rock. Rhodesians ( RLI, SAS, Selous Scouts, RAR etc), African militias, Mercs, South Africans...

Sunray

Quote from: mike40k on 25 August 2010, 09:37:20 PM
Don't know if there would be many others interested, but an African Wars range would rock. Rhodesians ( RLI, SAS, Selous Scouts, RAR etc), African militias, Mercs, South Africans...

Absolutely old boy ! As as been hinted in a couple of threads, the lateral approach might be 'generic types' much similar to the very sucessful 15mm RANGE styled "AK47".  The trooper comes in 'bushhat, AK47,' OR 'beret, SLR' and you apply the relevant paint job.   And yes -  you are not alone.  A growing band of 'bush war gamers'  in the Pendraken forum. 

Aircraft -  does anyone wish for small trainer/COIN types .  We don't need hight performance dog fighters, but rather something that can straff and drop a few bombs. Small jets like ....Mig 17, Jet Provost/Strikemaster,  Lockeed T33 Shooting Star and Folland Gnat.  Is this anyones  wish list

Oh, and before I forget,  ground mounted 106mm Recoilless Rifles- I had to buy the Ontos and mount the guns on stands.  No self respecting bush war army can fight without its 106RCL artillery !  Keep them coming