Modelling the Ram - or the turret, anyway

Started by Wulf, 23 June 2015, 09:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

It may look like I'm spamming the forum with these questions, and if so, sorry, but my previous posts were more specific & now I'm looking for some advice from a more general point of view. I'm trying to figure out how to make a Ram tank. The hull is easy - get a Pendraken Ram Kangaroo. But the turret is an odd shape, and I am, I freely admit, no sculptor. I want something that looks like a Ram, doesn't need to be too precise.

Here are some screenshots from my Ram II in the World of Tanks garage:
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2568808/wulf-corbett?size=original

Now, it bears some resemblance to a Sherman turret, and quite a lot to a Grant turret (the hull is based on the M3 Lee/Grant after all), but both of those are rounder, while the Ram, apart from the bustle, has a more angular, asymmetrical shape, albeit with rounded angles. I'm thinking I could start with a late-mark Churchill, or a AEC Mk2 Armoured Car turret, grind back the front & make a new mantlet, sand off the loader's hatch & the angle on the right side, and try to sand it down to make it shorter (the Ram turret looks much flatter, and in that does resemble the Grant). That's a lot of work though.

Alternatively, I could start with a Grant, and sand the angles in to the sides, but I think a Grant turret is smaller overall. maybe I could get a 15mm Grant?

Any advice from more experienced modellers? Is there a 10/12mm Ram mini out there I'm missing?

fred.

I did have a look in Bradford's British AFVs for a line drawing - which would give some idea of the size of the turret compared to others, but the Rams not in (perhaps for the obvious reason its not British, but there are a bunch of American tanks in it).

I think the turret is a lot taller than the Grant. I think I would start with a Sherman, and look to add a flat plate at the front.

The Ram turret does just scream 'shot trap' to me with all the different angles.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Wulf

Big problem with the Sherman, as far as I can see, is they all have the commander's hatch on the wrong side...

Obsidian23

Hi Guys,

I have scratch built a RAM turret for a FOW Ram hull for someone in the past.  Happy to provide pics of my work.

Sorry I know this is an old post but I have just joined.

Cheers

Wulf

Thanks, probably not necessary - I have the World of Tanks version as a resource. FoW is 15mm, isn't it?

The project is at a tricky stage... the one where I actually have to do something... As usual, I underestimated (or overestimated) just how damn small 10mm tanks are. It'll be tricky dremmelling this Churchill turret into shape without doing myself an injury, and that's someone else's party piece around here...  ;)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021