Barbarians review

Started by madpax, 17 June 2015, 07:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madpax

((if ever this topic is out of place, pleaése move it to its right place!).

I just received my barbarian army. At first, I wanted taurians. But I couldn't wait to have a pendraken army designed for warband.
So barbarians it is.
And it's truly fantastic. I just began to sort figures and it took me no less than 20 minutes to separate every kind of barbarians warriors (I ordered 4 packs of them).
So, we have three kinds of weapons, axe, spear and sword.
Swordmen: 12 kinds of them!!! three different poses (brandishing a one handed sword, a two handed sowrd, or with a  sword with its tip touching the earth), three kinds of shields (not everyone has them), some have capes, some have beards.
Spearmen: 14 kinds!!!!!! Some are walking with the spear pointed forward, others are standing immobile. Some have shields (4 kinds) and-there-is-even-a-broken-shield! As above, beards or not, cape or not (there is a pose where only the cape is différent), shield or not.
And finally, axemen: 6 poses, three kind of axes. One axe man has a shield displaying a skrull...

Now, I will have to sort them to form four units, or maybe less in order to use some warriors for other units (general, mamouth...). And to paint them. 8)

More of that later.

Marc

Duke Speedy of Leighton

They are good, just working out when to do mine!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

I'm glad you liked them, Marc !
I'm looking forward to seeing what they look like painted up.
Cheers - Phil.

madpax

Next, the bomen. As you can see above, warriors come with 32 variants, meaning that you can't have them all with only one pack.
On the other hand 'only' 23 variants of bowmen.
There are only two différent poses, one firing, the other reloading (or resting). I regret that they couldn't have been more différent poses like, running, reloading, or with a shield on a hand.
Here, the differences between variants are whether they have a cape (fabric or fur), a wooden shield or bare back, whether they have a beard or not, or even the hair lenght!
You must have excellent eyesight to see so tiny differences!
I have to remove glasses and place the figures nearly 3cm to my eyes to distinguish them...

Marc

Luddite

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

madpax

Well, you can see them on the pendraken website. I prefer to paint and base them before.

Marc

Techno

Quote from: madpax on 18 June 2015, 01:01:09 PM
You must have excellent eyesight to see so tiny differences!
I have to remove glasses and place the figures nearly 3cm to my eyes to distinguish them...Marc

If I have to get eyestrain making them.......... I think it's only fair you lot should suffer when painting them.  ;)
Seriously though, Marc.....I use an Optivisor....It helps enormously.
Cheers - Phil

madpax

Now, the bison riders. One pose, but as usual, many many variants. Three kinds of weapons, spear, axe and sword, and even there, different kinds of sword or axe.
And as usual, some have shields and some not, some have beards.

Marc

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Which I'd a huge improvement on the original mono-pose. Great work Phil.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner