On mages and Dragons

Started by stenicplus, 13 June 2015, 06:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stenicplus

In response to Luddite's question:

What did you think of the dragon? Useful? Also, how did not including spell casters change the game?

For me the mage made no difference to my play as I don't rate the Dwarf mage so don't bother with one. It did however made the game faster as we had not cause to worry about the right phase to cast spells. I also think Dave plays better without one. The best mages seem to be High Elf or Goblin, they should never leave home without one. Mages may be down to style of play and army choice, one the large spells are really different and with lesser mages only allowed in some armies you cannot be sure of getting the MPs. Never plan the battle around a one third chance of getting the spell you need  ;D

Dragons still not sure about. They really lose out being flying.... no direct charge and cannot count hitting flank or rear!! That is a major drawback. You need to make sure you do not send them off on their own. We've still to really use them a bit more to decide.

Luddite

'I don't rate the Dwarf mage so don't bother with one'

Interesting observation.  I find him usually fairly useful, especially if you use a lot of hills.  The ability to make units hill walkers is handy, and Spirit of the Stone Guardians while difficult to cast, can be a game changer.

That said, its excellent to see you can have success without the spell-crafter.

'Dragons still not sure about. They really lose out being flying.... no direct charge and cannot count hitting flank or rear!! That is a major drawback. You need to make sure you do not send them off on their own. We've still to really use them a bit more to decide.'

Yep.  Used on their own, the look scary but are 'easily' isolated and brought down.  Used in support of the rest of the army though and I think they can be devastating.

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN