Armada

Started by Ithoriel, 29 May 2015, 02:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

Inspired by pierre the shy's 40mm coastal hex terrain I thought it was about time I updated this thread with some pics of hex based forts for my Armada period stuff.

The forts are all from Brigade Miniatures' Small Scale Scenery range. Although the ships are 1/2400 and the forts are around 1/1000 I think they look OK together

Initial ships for the Spanish fleet are painted, must take some photos and post those too.

English fleet languishing at the assembled and undercoated stage, Spanish merchant ships still in bags as are the 1/3000th scale Navwar harbour sections.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Those look absolutely fine together, to me, I.

That looks really rather spiffy !

Cheers - Phil.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd =D> :-bd

The bronze cannon, terracotta roofs and other little details really set them off nicely :)

Does anyone do ancient towns in a similar scale?
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Paul, Brigade do town sets for Normandy (WW2, complete with an impressive range of bunkers and pill-boxes); Mediterranean (think white walls and orange pantiles); Middle East or N. Africa (Sumer to South Sudan); English (20th C or Rennaissance onwards) towns, cities, villages and agricultural; Ancient Rome and generic harbour sets.

Have considered using the Med housing for a Spanish Main settlement of some sort. Maybe using the Hotel as the Governer's mansion!

Also, thanks to all for the kind comments.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Tawa

Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

d_Guy

Mike,

The word I'll use for your last pics is enchanting!
Must..resist..falling..under..the...spell.. :)
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Roy

Those look brilliant!  =P~ :-bd
Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"

Leman

Looks really good. Would not want to be on board that Spanish galleon, unless the forts are Spanish controlled.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Westmarcher

Very nice! Looks very 'do-able' and promising for loads of actions on the Spanish Main.

And with suitably scaled land forces, already thinking of Drake's attack on St Augustine, Florida (1586), and singeing the King of Spain's beard at Cadiz (1587).

Aaarrr!  :ar!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

Irregular's  2mm Spanish Tercios are really impressive

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

cameronian

Dashed spiffy Leman, always nice to see as much effort going into the terrain as into the figures.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You're not wrong!  8)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

To scale with the ships infantry would need to be 0.5mm tall!

Which hasn't stopped me eyeing the Irregular 2mm stuff.

The actions on the Spanish Main tended to involve small forces, many of them either militia or local natives ("Indians" to the non-PC among us :) ).

I'm thinking tercios for the Spanish regulars, pike & shot blocks for the Spanish militia, forlorn hope/ dismounted dragoon types for the English sailors and Ancients period bowmen for the natives. Spanish artillery, where present tended to be in the forts while the English regularly seem to have brought guns ashore from ships, especially ones previously captured from the Spanish. So some light(-ish) artillery needed for the English.

Forces are often in the couple of hundred a side range so I could do 1:1 scale forces!

Or I could just use cardboard counters on the grounds they're closer to ground-scale than the figures. You all know how fond I am on "wendy houses" :)

d_Guy

Well Ithoriel
After coming back several times and looking at your pics and reading through this thread, I couldn't stand it any longer -
Just ordered the Anglo/Dutch starter packs from Tumbling Dice! I like gridded games and what you are doing but realize your rules are
still a WIP. Do you (or anyone) know of rules that might work for the earlier Anglo/Dutch wars?
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on