Armada

Started by Ithoriel, 29 May 2015, 02:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

See top of thread.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Last Hussar

Are those flooring tiles?

No tempted to re do my Ships in this scale - using 'Pirates' plasticard ships at the mo!
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Ithoriel

The "sea" is 1m x 2m of vinyl flooring from Carpetwise.

The bases are Pendraken 30mm hex mdf bases which fit very neatly into the grid on the flooring!

Who'dve thought Carpetwise would design their flooring to match Pendraken bases :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fred.

Very nice, I'd missed this the other day.

I'd maybe go for blue edges to the bases, rather than white, they will probably blend in visually a bit more.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Ithoriel

I did originally have the edges blue but sitting it on the vinyl I decided it would look better with a white edge to merge it with the hex grid. Lets face it, a game played on a white gridded blue sheet will never look naturalistic so I decided to emphasise the "playing piece" aspect of the model.

Let's face it, I can always go back later and paint them blue if I decide it doesn't look so good en masse.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fred.

Fair point.

It does seem white or black base edges seem to set the figure apart from the table more and create that playing piece feel.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

WeeWars

Great stuff!

Quote from: Ithoriel on 03 June 2015, 03:16:27 AM
The "sea" is 1m x 2m of vinyl flooring from Carpetwise.

Who'dve thought Carpetwise would design their flooring to match Pendraken bases :)

Did Carpetwise comment on the diminutive nature if your intended floor?
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

I've bought a bit of vinyl about that size, to actually use as flooring in a real room.

Ithoriel

Quote from: WeeWars on 03 June 2015, 08:15:43 PM
Great stuff!

Did Carpetwise comment on the diminutive nature if your intended floor?

I went in and said I wanted a 2x1m piece to use as sea in a wargame and the assistant spent a moment or two talking about the fact his brother played GW games and was mine similar. I said similar but not the same and he went off and cut the vinyl. Say what you like about GW, they have made wargaming more visible to the general public.

petercooman

Quote from: Last Hussar on 02 June 2015, 10:31:53 PM
Are those flooring tiles?

No tempted to re do my Ships in this scale - using 'Pirates' plasticard ships at the mo!

Same here! no painting means  :-bd :-bd :-bd <:-P

Last Hussar

07 June 2015, 09:23:36 PM #25 Last Edit: 07 June 2015, 09:25:10 PM by Last Hussar
Quote from: Ithoriel on 03 June 2015, 10:55:24 PM
Say what you like about GW, they have made wargaming more visible to the general public.

I find it really useful having a GW in town - it means you can talk to someone who understands you, and doesn't give you funny looks when you are trying to explain what you are trying to do.

I got almost the whole of Trafalgar in 'Pirates' ships, but now you can't get them anymore I'm not going to be able to finish it.  After the craze passed the Works in Portmouth were selling them at 50p a pack!
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Leman

I got a very funny look in Southport GW when I explained I was producing figures for the Great Italian Wars.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

toxicpixie

I always get that mental crunching of gears from GW staff...

"So, what army do you collect?!"

War of the Spanish Succession French in 10mm.

"Grind, crunch, flounder"

More to the point, nice ships :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Luddite

The ship, basing, and 'sea'...all splendidly inspired!

Wooden Ships and Iron Men rules might need to be dug out (I bags the British!).

;D
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

petercooman

Quote from: Last Hussar on 07 June 2015, 09:23:36 PM
I find it really useful having a GW in town - it means you can talk to someone who understands you, and doesn't give you funny looks when you are trying to explain what you are trying to do.

I got almost the whole of Trafalgar in 'Pirates' ships, but now you can't get them anymore I'm not going to be able to finish it.  After the craze passed the Works in Portmouth were selling them at 50p a pack!

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/PIRATES-POCKET-MODEL-FIRE-STEEL-X-15-GAME-PACKS-BRAND-NEW-CLOSEOUT-PRICE-/161691813663?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a595471f

If you want you can browse this guys shop, about as cheap if you don't count the shipping!