Question for the SYW/AWI experts...

Started by Leon, 22 August 2010, 02:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Anybody fancy helping me out with some research?

We've had a couple of orders recently for the AWI 5.5" Howitzer, but with SYW crews.  One was with French, one with Russian crew I think.  I've found a few sources that say these guns were used in the SYW, so can anyone confirm that, and which nations used them?  We can then add them to the catalogue for other customers.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

lentulus

I do have some notes on that, and look look tomorrow or monday. I do recall that more than one country used the same pattern

I think I am the one who ordered the French crew, but if so that's because I really like the French artillery officer with the Telescope - he is likely to become a "universal" engineer and logistics officer in my armies.

Zbigniew

I can only speak about SYW howitzers. I have not enough information about AWI ones.
Based on the books I have 5,5 or 6 pdrs were used by British and French only. Austrians and Prussians had 7 pdr as smallest howitzers used. Hanoverians used only even heavier types only.
I was the guy who ordered AWI 5,5 pdr howitzers with Russian crews, I would use them as replacement for secret shuvalov howitzers but I will still make some green stuff work on their barrels. Other Russian howitzers were rather heavier than 6 pdr.

lentulus

Based on this, as Zbigniew points out, not identical, but at 10mm probably "close enough for government work" 

http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=Prussian_Artillery_Equipment#7-pdr_Howitzer

Leon

Thanks for the info.  So we can put them in for the British and French, and should be able to get away with them in the Prussians?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Zbigniew

I think 1pdr more or less doesnt make a difference in 10mm scale. These AWI howitzers would be good addition to British, French, Prussian and Austrian SYW armies

Leon

Right then, so to confirm:

Austrian: 7lb Howitzer
Prussian: 7lb Howitzer
British: 5.5" Howitzer
French: 5.5" Howitzer

Would these be best supplied with horses and limbers?

Zbigniew

26 August 2010, 09:54:13 AM #7 Last Edit: 26 August 2010, 09:58:46 AM by Zbigniew
As for French howitzer, Gribeauval Model 1749 had exactly 6,4 inch.
Limbers? - I dont know, maybe someone else would tell.

By the way, Leon, do you have any pictures of Rusian Napoleonic guns from NMR10 pack?

Leon

I'll get some taken for you this weekend.

Leon

Zbigniew

lentulus

As far as the howitzer limbers go, I certainly like to have limbers -- but then black powder encourages their use.