If you've got £1240 to spare...

Started by Luddite, 25 May 2015, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luddite

The latest development in the GW descent into insanity.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/05/40k-hobby-warlord-titan-close-ups.html

I'm wondering how you move it during a battle...
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

I think they're simply using that as 'The Ultimate Model'.

Just a bit of 'puff' they can stick on the opening page of the site, or on the cover of 'whatever'.
Was it 'The Imperial Dragon' that was the £50 biggie in the mid 80's ?
They only sold a handful of those....But it made a nice cover for a journal.
It was really just a talking point.

Might use it as a figurehead in a handful of the 'important' shops ?

Cheers - Phil

Steve J

Well, a nice model that I'm sure some people will buy, those with more money than sense.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Techno on 25 May 2015, 09:14:30 PM
Was it 'The Imperial Dragon' that was the £50 biggie in the mid 80's ?

Is that the one where the wings were just the bones and you needed to add tissue paper to make the wing membranes?  Had one of those, though it cost me a lot less than £50. Bought it, painted it, never used it, sold it :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Nosher

They should automate it and replace their shop staff with it. It will smell a whole lot cleaner, have better dental hygeine, more personality and more likely be about 10% more attractive to girls...
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Techno

Quote from: Ithoriel on 25 May 2015, 09:46:25 PM
Is that the one where the wings were just the bones and you needed to add tissue paper to make the wing membranes?  Had one of those, though it cost me a lot less than £50. Bought it, painted it, never used it, sold it :)

That's the chappie, Ithoriel !
There was still one in the studio, while I was there......It was very, very tatty, and its wings had drooped, because of the weight of metal in the 'fingers' of the wings.
(Mind you, I think there was still a 'lot' of lead in the alloy when it was produced,)

The other thing that strikes me, is that if little Jimmy Public goes into the shop with his Dad and wants one of those, Daddy Public will feel well chuffed if he gets away with just £40...£50...£60...(more ?) .....paid for a single model kit.
And.....How about a magazine and sell it as a 'part work' ?.....Lets face it, most of those seem to get up to around £1,000 if you bought every issue. X_X

Publicity stunt or sales 'marketing' ?

Cheers - Phil

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Buy it, assemble it, paint it, weather it, super-detail it, stand it in the corner of your wargames room to psych out your opponents?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

It's only 275 and a bit standard Pendraken packs! :0
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Subedai

Going by the current auction value of toys from a bygone age that are still in their boxes, if you buy one of these and keep it for say forty or fifty years you might get as much as a couple of quid for it.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!