Battlefront in financial trouble?

Started by Nirnman, 15 May 2015, 10:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

Don't like the rules, do like the figures but I'll continue to pick up the latter from EBay at more reasonable prices.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Raider4

Quote from: mad lemmey on 23 May 2015, 06:57:59 PM

I just hate the gamey competitors, in all senses of gamey!

Well, don't we all. But these people are hardly restricted to just players of Battlefront/Flames Of War.

Or even wargamers. I stopped going to model railway exhibitions years ago because of the stench that some people emanated.

Cheers, Martyn

barbarian

Frankly, I disliked the rules because I played so much WH40k just before discovering them. It was a time in my gaming life where I didn't wanted another 40k.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Airborne Engineer

Quote from: petercooman on 17 May 2015, 10:37:56 AM
This +1

Why buy in resin if you can get it cheap in plastic!

I think their bigger problem was their reactions to plastic.  First they tried to ignore it, then they tried to cut their quality control while marketing their stuff as premium product better than plastics justifying the price increases, then they tried to ban all now FOW troops from their tournaments.  A lot of us spent a lot of money on their products, but as WWII is not a narrow set of figures most had a mix of items and found it insulting for them to declare that WWII gaming was their hobby, not ours.  They wanted all or nothing, and many like myself have given them nothing since.  I might play the game, but I will do everything I can to avoid giving my hobby dollars to a company that thinks it can demand them rather than earn them.  They had a big reaction to this on their forum, pretended it was just the haters until one of their biggest fans came on and criticized theiry quality control and saying it was causing him to look for lead elsewhere.  Then they modified the rule and dumped the forum of critical comments, when you ban critiques of what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong pretty soon you start believing your own propaganda and ignoring the truth you don't want to hear.  I haven't bought one of their items from them or retail since.  And many shops have eliminated or scaled back their shelf space, all because they didn't want to believe their customers or compete with their competitors.

They need to abandon the ridiculous warrior rules and let armies fight.  It is a war game, not a Klingon saga.

Leman

Got rid of all my FOW stuff about 3 years ago. I notice they no longer own WI (no Women's Institute jokes please).
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

sdennan

I occSionally see Pete the owner at the petrol station near the wife's work. I'll make sure pass on suggestions next time I see him. Have been meaning to mention how much I liked the first generation figures more.

Luddite

Quoteinsulting for them to declare that ... gaming was their hobby, not ours... I will do everything I can to avoid giving my hobby dollars to a company that thinks it can demand them rather than earn them.

Every game company owner should have this inscribed on their CEO's brainwaves.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN