Battlefront in financial trouble?

Started by Nirnman, 15 May 2015, 10:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

Herts, I think you're very much spot on - when I first bought a couple of their models they were decent and cheap. I got most of my 15mm ww2 from QRF and the Pig, but BF filled a couple of desires easily and cheaply. Now it's more expensive for most of their stuff than the competitors, it's no nicer, there's not a lot of stuff I couldn't get elsewhere AND for bigger formations there's lots of cheap plastics from PSC or Zvesda easily available.

BF have started releasing similar ish priced kits but I think it's been too little too late. Shame as they provide a good "one stop shop" with their excellent web set up and painting guides and piccies and org notes etc etc. I don't play Flames but it's pretty handy and great inspiration :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

petercooman

Quote from: Hertsblue on 17 May 2015, 10:15:40 AM
Their real problem is that they priced themselves out of the market and forgot that they don't have a monopoly on WW2 kit. The plethora of plastic and resin vehicles now available means that BF's are becoming less and less desirable. I, too, would be sorry to see them go (I'm always sorry to see any viable business go down the pan) They do things that the imitators can't or won't be bothered with.

This +1

Why buy in resin if you can get it cheap in plastic!

Coffeefiend

When BF first started, the one shop approach and price point coupled with the quality made it difficult to pass up. Now, they have too many SKUs, making it difficult for brick and mortar stores to keep things in stock. Still, despite the number of SKUs, they still make it difficult to complete certain lists.  If it is not the current point of focus, LW, it is hard to get. Add to this, a Vietnam, Arab-Israeli, WWI and soon Cold War, line, it makes it even harder for a brick and mortar store to carry their line.

All of that, and the relative costs when compared to other companies, it really seems that BFs current business model is unsustainable.

Leon

I've not heard anything about it on the circuit, but it wouldn't come as a surprise.  With their increased prices, aggressive attitude towards their own stockists, and the increasing number of competitors, there's always going to be a decline point.  

They've followed the GW model, but at least GW can invent a new race, or access a fresh IP as they've done with LOTR, Hobbit or the online game they've just partnered up with.  When you're dealing with historical armour-based conflicts, there's only a finite amount of options available.  And higher initial production costs of plastic mean that a lot of vehicles are not viable to produce as there's not enough potential sales in them.  They've expanded where possible, with the Vietnam, Arab-Israeli and Cold War ranges, but those are only short-term solutions.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Hertsblue

I asked Dan Faukenbridge a couple of years ago where BF would go once the WW2 bubble had burst. He didn't know, and I suspect the company hadn't given it much thought, being on the crest of the demand wave. Their 15mm figure output is well up to standard, and I suggested Napoleonics, but it appears they're still wedded to tanks.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leman

Didn't a company try boxed sets of 15mm Napoleonics 2 or 3 years ago? Where are they now?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

petercooman

Quote from: Leman on 19 May 2015, 04:48:10 PM
Didn't a company try boxed sets of 15mm Napoleonics 2 or 3 years ago? Where are they now?

Gordon and hague. If you look on their website you can see the kickstarter for napoleonics. They have boxed sets of 15mm acw (prepainted) too.

Fenton

Wasn't the Napoleonics Capitan miniatures or something like that?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

toxicpixie

Just seen the Capitan boxes pop up on Wayland Games - they look pretty decent but there's a lack of good photo's that I can find!

TBH I'd be tempted by Warriors packs, can't be beaten on price and quality looks acceptable so far as I can see :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

Yes they do some nice Imperial Romans in true, ie small, 15mm, including a testudo.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

toxicpixie

Those ECW chaps I popped on my painting thread a week or two ago were Warrior. Lots if character, painted up nice - I've had some ropey stuff (25mm WoR, very thin, bit... Smooth) but even they were acceptable at worst!

GordonY

The Warrior Nappys are superb, just enough detail so that you dont spend a week and a half painting one but enough so you know what they are, as for price well 100+ 15mm for £18 that just cant be beat.

Subedai

Quote from: toxicpixie on 19 May 2015, 09:18:22 PM
Those ECW chaps I popped on my painting thread a week or two ago were Warrior. Lots if character, painted up nice - I've had some ropey stuff (25mm WoR, very thin, bit... Smooth) but even they were acceptable at worst!

I agree. I bought some 15mm ECW figures from them back in 1984-still got them- and they were great, and even then very affordable. Some of their other, larger figures are a bit suss though.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

jambo1

Never tried their 25mm but purchased their 18th century army pack and the figures are very nice indeed, stocky wee chaps full of character, their service is first class too!! :-bd

NTM

Quote from: Fenton on 19 May 2015, 04:59:00 PM
Wasn't the Napoleonics Capitan miniatures or something like that?

They are doing a game but I think the one being referred to is napoleon at war which seems to have stalled now

http://www.manatwar.es/