AWI Hitlist 2015

Started by Wonkey Donkeys, 10 May 2015, 01:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wonkey Donkeys

Just thought i'd start up the topic again. Where has the time gone?  :o How many more codes and what would finish the range off?

I would like to see the following:

1) Roundabouts skirmishing
2) Queens Rangers command
3) Roundabouts command
4) Mounted French command

Minenfeld

American dragoons in jockey caps, which will cover the 1st and 3rd Continental regiments. Roundabout command and skirmishing packs. Hessian fusliers marching, Hessian artillery crew, Mounted militia , Brunswick dragoons. Lauzan legion. French command and staff officers. That will do for starters. Its been a few years since we have seen any new addtions  :'(

paulr

Some mounted militia would be particularly useful
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Bill Braham

It is good to see someone start this up again. Hopefully our responses will fire up Clibinarium to steal some time from his other many and varied projects and dip his toe back into the AWI.

In addition to Wonkey Donkeys and Minefeld's suggestions I should also like to see

- French grenadiers in cocked hat (most regiments did wear the bearskin cap and this could also double as chasseurs for all regiments)

- A more active set of poses for the Rall Grenadier regiment - I really just do not like the lolling about pose that the current pack has.

- Later Continental infantry in light infantry caps (both in coat and hunting shirt if possible)

- Infantry in short coat and narrow brimmed hats - essentially Philadelphia Associators (OK I know one such figure exists in AWA1 but it is one figure out of series of 6 so you only get 6 in a pack of the 30!)

I was surprised to learn that there are no jockey cap Continental dragoons - I would have sworn that I had seen some pix of greens for that but I guess not judging by the catalogue! Be nice to see some QAR hussars as well.

Paulr - you ask for mounted militia - but what do you mean by that? Types such as McCalls men at Cowpens essentially mounted civilians with swords or the more usual type basically mounted men with muskets? If the latter type of militia they served as mounted infantry so tended to fight on foot anyway.

paulr

Quote from: Bill Braham on 12 July 2015, 10:10:42 PM
Paulr - you ask for mounted militia - but what do you mean by that? Types such as McCalls men at Cowpens essentially mounted civilians with swords or the more usual type basically mounted men with muskets? If the latter type of militia they served as mounted infantry so tended to fight on foot anyway.

Both :D

But mainly mounted with muskets. It would be nice to have them mounted while riding and then replace them with dismounted or possibly mix mounted and dismounted on the same base :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Bill Braham

Mounted civvies with swords would work quite well for some of the mounted southern militia types as well as units like the Connecticut light horse deployed in 1776 - 1777 before the formation of the Corps of Continental Dragoons. I assume a mix of coat and hunting shirt with jockey caps, hats and cocked hats would give a suitable look.  There was at least one troop of militia light horse from Virginia under Thomas Watkins and another NC troop under de Bretigny serving alongside Washington's dragoons and actually charged the Guards alongside them.

I am less sure about the mounted types with guns. I cannot call to mind any instance where they rode into action and dismounted on the field to fight. I can think of many instances where the militia rode up and then moved into the combat on foot - Kings Mountain being the a famous example. Nathanael Greene actually sent home lots of mounted militia in 1781 as he wanted to conserve grazing and fodder for his cavalry and more importantly draft horses and not have it eaten up by unnecessary militia horses. Even the Perrys only designed one pack of mounted rifleman and  but two packs of mounted militia (command plus one other).

A mix of militia firing line (AWA5) and rifles  (AWA11) would give a good impression of the dismounted types with the odd 'lolling' figure (from AWA4) and some standing horses to represent the horse lines to the rear.

I guess we will just have to wait and see if Clibinarium is able to make any time available. in the future.

maciek

Clibs is busy with LoA in 28 and 10mm, so lets request something easy to do,
preferably something thet can be based on existing figures.
Two things are both obvious and indispensable:
- Hessian generals
- Hessian artillerymen
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm

2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Minenfeld

I managed to convert some generals and artillery to Brunswickers, by the addtion of a tiny ball of milliput for the hat pom pom. Worked for me.

Bill Braham

Maciek

I am curious as to why you think Hessian generals and artillerymen or easier than anything else (other than you want them - I can certainly identify with that!). However as I think we all admit that the governing factor is Clibinarium's time (and he is a very busy chap in a multitude of scales) and perhaps his interest.

I hope that there are some new releases in the AWI range in future and although I have my preferences I would be happy with most things just so long as it is not the wretched 'drag rope men'!

Cheers

Bill

maciek

Quote from: Bill Braham on 23 July 2015, 08:04:11 PM
I am curious as to why you think Hessian generals and artillerymen or easier than anything else
They can be done basing on existing figures, with only minor adjustments of uniforms.
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm

2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Bill Braham

By existing figures do you mean in the AWI range or the SYW range - the latter of course are by a different designer?

Assuming that you mean existing figures from the AWI I am not certain that from the sculptors point of view in 10mm that conversion of existing figures represents the best way forward from figures that have already been mastered. There is always some degree of shrinkage from master figure through master mould to production mould. I suspect that it would be easier to start off with a more generic figure to produce a master mould and that figures cast from that could then be converted. It seems evident that that is unlikely to be the case in this instance.  I do however agree it would be nice to have Hessian mounted command and artillery crews.

FierceKitty

09 August 2015, 03:06:48 AM #11 Last Edit: 09 August 2015, 03:08:46 AM by FierceKitty
There should be an award for creative nomenclature. Wonkey Donkeys would be a strong contender for the gold.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Minenfeld

Whilst on the subject of conversion, I managed to convert the  16th dragoons trumpeter figure , to the 17th, by replacing the heads with a 17th dragoons trooper figure. I'll  dig my camera out and try and post the results, which were very good, if I do say so myself. 8)

Bill Braham

Minenfeld,

Did you ever photograph your conversion of the trumpeter?

Leman

My AWI Hit list is topped by Mel Gibson!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!