Vallejo Primer

Started by Kiwidave, 11 May 2015, 09:25:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwidave

Has anyone used the Vallejo brush-on primers?

I've always used spray-on paints (either Humbrol or Plasti-cote), but as I use Vallejo paints, I was wondering if I'd be better off using their primers as well... The main reason I use sprays is that it is quicker, although during the winter this can be a problem, and I'm also limited to spraying in an access cupboard in our communal corridor, as I can't spray inside our flat.

KD

Wulf

I've started to use them, but not on many minis yet. I'm not too sure whether I should thin it at all, it does feel quite thick. But I've usd brush-on primers of some sort for a while, so I'm happy with the idea. I never get an even coat, it's always patchy, but it works a treat anyway.

Leman

I use the white unthinned and have had great results. Usually do a black wash after to bring out detail and shadow before painting.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Nirnman

I've used it on plastics both hard and soft and it works a treat however i found on metals it can rub off with handling even while painting I found a solution by first applying a "special metals primer" first, ( the   version I use is made by hammerite and it gives the vallejo primer a better surface to which it can adhere.

Leman

Thanks for that info.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

jambo1

I use the black primer, done metal and plastic and found it very good indeed. I would heartily recommend them.

Kiwidave

John Cook

I've always use ordinary white or grey as a primer, thinned a bit.

WeeWars

← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

NTM

Only one I use these days goes on nice and thin.