Woods Made From Cheap Trees From China

Started by Womble67, 06 May 2015, 01:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Womble67

Hello everyone
                   I have made my very first YouTube tutorial and would like your honest opinions.

how to embed youtube video in simple machines forum.

https://youtu.be/wmHkyaY_ofU

The link below takes you to my blog

Making Trees and Woods

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

You just need the bit after he final / between the [youtube] [/youtube)
i.e. [utube]wmHkyaY_ofU[/utube]

Interesting stuff though.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Womble67

Quote from: fsn on 06 May 2015, 02:36:51 PMYou just need the bit after he final / between the [youtube] [/youtube)
i.e. [utube]wmHkyaY_ofU[/utube]

Interesting stuff though.

Thanks for that fsn

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

jambo1

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

fred.

Good stuff - I watched it all which is unusual for most wargames videos! The editing of the various sections works well - and you get your wife to do wargames terrain making for you!!

Don't know what happened at the beginning - there are some strange swirly scrolling artefacts.

I'm not the close ups work too well - the camera seems to struggle to focus that close in.

I'm also shocked that you paint terrain with model paints!! Especially as you use household stuff for most other tasks. Paint some of the Vallejo on an off cut, and then get it coloured matched and get yourself a nice big pot of dark brown. I just get random sampler pots and don't worry that things don't always match - or large tubes of burnt umber acrylic from home bargains.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Norm

I enjoyed the tutorial, everything was clearly explained and the final results are really good.

There are some bad lighting effects causing flickering at the start of the video and think these last long enough that some viewers may think the entire video is like that and they may terminate viewing early. Everything else seems spot on.

As an aside - you use white texture paint, whenever I use white basing materials, I tint with a green or brown cheap acrylic paint - it just helps later on.

toxicpixie

I use a mix of left over PVA and sand and some brown left over craft paint for textured base coat; I bet that pre-textured ceiling paint is way easier though.

The odd strobe effect was Wierd but I'd or gotten it by the time I finished watching :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Womble67

Quote from: jambo1 on 06 May 2015, 06:08:47 PM
Super stuff, well done. =D>

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Quote from: toxicpixie on 06 May 2015, 06:26:54 PM
That's really good!

Thank you very much

Quote from: fred    12df on 06 May 2015, 06:27:15 PM
Good stuff - I watched it all which is unusual for most wargames videos! The editing of the various sections works well - and you get your wife to do wargames terrain making for you!!

Thanks for your comments.

Yes I'm a very lucky man my wife helps loads :)

Don't know what happened at the beginning - there are some strange swirly scrolling artefacts. 

Same here I've no idea what happened.

I'm not the close ups work too well - the camera seems to struggle to focus that close in. 

Agreed.

I'm also shocked that you paint terrain with model paints!! Especially as you use household stuff for most other tasks. Paint some of the Vallejo on an off cut, and then get it coloured matched and get yourself a nice big pot of dark brown. I just get random sampler pots and don't worry that things don't always match - or large tubes of burnt umber acrylic from home bargains.

Its funny you mentioned getting some paint mixed up because the wife been on at me to get some mixed.

Quote from: toxicpixie on 06 May 2015, 07:23:40 PM
I use a mix of left over PVA and sand and some brown left over craft paint for textured base coat; I bet that pre-textured ceiling paint is way easier though.

The odd strobe effect was Wierd but I'd or gotten it by the time I finished watching :D

Thanks for everyones comments very much appreciated.

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

Womble67

Quote from: Norm on 06 May 2015, 06:51:43 PM
I enjoyed the tutorial, everything was clearly explained and the final results are really good.

There are some bad lighting effects causing flickering at the start of the video and think these last long enough that some viewers may think the entire video is like that and they may terminate viewing early. Everything else seems spot on.

As an aside - you use white texture paint, whenever I use white basing materials, I tint with a green or brown cheap acrylic paint - it just helps later on.

Good idea about mixing cheap acrylic paint with the texture paint

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

petercooman

fsn

With one apostrophe the whole sense of this thread changes: "Wood's made from cheap trees from China."
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Quote from: Womble67 on 06 May 2015, 09:54:03 PM
Good idea about mixing cheap acrylic paint with the texture paint

This does help with masking any chipping that occurs during use - so rather than having bright white spots showing through, they are a little masked.

Do you have a link to the source of the trees, I couldn't see one on your blog?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Womble67

Quote from: fred    12df on 06 May 2015, 10:40:15 PM
Do you have a link to the source of the trees, I couldn't see one on your blog?

the links about half way down the page. But perhaps I should make it clearer.

ebay

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

Womble67

The Wargames Directory