Navwar - MIA?

Started by Ithoriel, 05 May 2015, 01:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

OK, so I haven't used Navwar since I don't know when but I remember they had a range of 1:1200 Dutch Wars ships and went to have a look at their website to find it's dead - just a server error message for the past week or more.

So have they:

a) Been out of business for a decade, I need to pay more attention?

b) Got temporary problems that will be resolved soon?

c) Sold the lot on to someone else and I need to replace my bookmark?

I'd say "answers on a postcard" since my recollection is that that's about how you did business with them but in the interests of entering at least the late 20th Century any answers here instead?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

GrumpyOldMan

Hello Ithoriel

Problem has been mentioned on TMP since 24/4, server still not turning up.

Catalogue still downloads http://www.navwar.co.uk/nav/pdf/webcat.pdf, maybe try Spirit Games? https://www.spiritgames.co.uk/figs/dutch.php

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

FierceKitty

It'll be a sad day if they've joined the dodo. I graduated to them from those dreadful Airfix figures in 1983, and their 1:300 ranges kept me going for a couple of decades.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

05 May 2015, 03:33:39 AM #3 Last Edit: 05 May 2015, 03:38:26 AM by FierceKitty
On the subject, still no necromancy with the Tridente Bologna and Obelisk Miniatures ranges. :(

pierre the shy

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 05 May 2015, 01:49:28 AM
Hello Ithoriel

Problem has been mentioned on TMP since 24/4, server still not turning up.

Catalogue still downloads http://www.navwar.co.uk/nav/pdf/webcat.pdf, maybe try Spirit Games? https://www.spiritgames.co.uk/figs/dutch.php

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

pity if they have gone. Paul and I bought a whole lot of 1/3000 WWII ships from them via fax order a couple of years ago with no problems at all. Thought i heard. a rumour that owner has been in the games business sine the 1970s so was looking at retiring. Hope the business gets past on to someone who will keep it going
...jutland anniversary next year... 8)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

barbarian

Tridente Bologna : F. was in the middle of separation with his partner + work problems.
Seems like he has found a new job heavily time-consuming. I know some people who saw him but he doesn't seem to go on any game fair.
I may try to call him a Saturday morning to see if I can catch him.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

You might mention the order he received about  year ago, with cash payment....

Orcs

I started wargaming with his 1:300 stuff from a shop called New Model Army in East Ham.

Have done what checks I can - Called the fax machine and it answers

Looked on google maps and its still there - Google updated the streetview in this area  about 2 years ago. I know this as the shop was about 2 miles from my parents house and the person that bought it when they died did major work on it, which shows on Streetview.

A freind also ordered fom them about a year ago.  Suggest you call the shop on Saturday, or send a fax.  the guy who runs it is a complete Technophobe. in fact he makes Matron look like technological whizz kid (sorry Phil).

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Hertsblue

Yes, indeed, I used to frequent New Model Army back in the day. The last time I called at the Navwar shop (probably five years ago) I got the impression he was only interested in mail-order. The shop then was only ever open on days of the month with a "z" in their name.  :(
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

toxicpixie

Oddly enough I can get to the catalogue - http://www.navwar.co.uk/nav/pdf/webcat.pdf - but not the site itself.

It may be a switch to a new host time - Peter Pig recently had their website die and they had to switch hosts; the old one (Demon) had died. They've sorted it but if Navwar is a technophobe they may not even know it's defunct, let alone be able to fix it...

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Ithoriel

Up side - site appears to be up and running again.

Downside - ordering is even more labyrinthine than I remember, one step away from having to sacrifice a black cockerel at the crossroads at midnight to receive the items you want. :(

Think I'll go 1:2400 instead and pick up a couple of starter packs from Tumbling Dice at Carronade, if I can.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

So... wait. He's got a website, with a shopping cart, but you have to print out the cart and post it to him or call him in the three hours a few days a week you can (maybe) get an answer when he might be there?!

Jebus.

"Our restricted opening hours at the shop are designed to ensure prompt dispatch of mail orders." - there won't be any bloomin' mail orders at that rate!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

GrumpyOldMan

Hello Barbarian

Quote from: barbarian on 05 May 2015, 09:28:19 AM
Tridente Bologna : F. was in the middle of separation with his partner + work problems.
Seems like he has found a new job heavily time-consuming. I know some people who saw him but he doesn't seem to go on any game fair.
I may try to call him a Saturday morning to see if I can catch him.

Hopefully everything is better and he can resume Tridente Bologna. I keep on looking at the pictures of the Eastern Europeans longingly  :D.

Incidentally the Avatar Scorpion Gunship seller has opened a UK eBay shop, maybe this will solve the problem of buying them in Italy, other forum post http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,11858.msg165244.html#msg165244

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

paulr

Quote from: pierre the shy on 05 May 2015, 06:27:18 AM
pity if they have gone. Paul and I bought a whole lot of 1/3000 WWII ships from them via fax order a couple of years ago with no problems at all. Thought i heard. a rumour that owner has been in the games business sine the 1970s so was looking at retiring. Hope the business gets past on to someone who will keep it going
...jutland anniversary next year... 8)

Fortunately I had access to a fax machine at work so could try repeatedly over a couple of weeks until the fax machine finally answered  ~X(
I even had someone on another forum volunteer to pop round and visit them one Saturday, fortunately the fax answered before they had to visit

Once the fax got through there were no problems  :)

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

John Cook

I ordered and received some of Navwar's Armada ships this month (June 2015).  You do have to print off your order and send it by steam mail but the turn-round was faster than ordering from some companies on-line.  No complaints and hardly a challenge.