When I were a lad ...

Started by Westmarcher, 03 May 2015, 05:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

I happen to be watching an episode of Human Planet (a nature documentary). This particular episode is about the remarkable people who live and survive in the world's grasslands. In one part, it shows you a guy hunting snakes in the Far East. He's managed to catch a whole bag full which he is now proceeding to empty in front of his family to sift out the good ones for chopping up for food.
While he's doing this he's handing out snakes for his kids to play with!  :o 

Shades of Monty Python! Imagine it, "When I were a lad, we didn't have toys. Instead, we played with live snakes!"   :O)

What did you play with .... er ... when you were a lad?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Fenton

I worry your having Freudian flashbacks
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Westmarcher

Funny enough, as I watch, we're now in Ethiopia and naked guys are fighting each other with sticks. Its called Donga.   ;D
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Fenton

Sure you havent retuned your TV to an Adult station?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Westmarcher

;D

.. they're now showing guys with helicopters rounding up cattle(!). I've been waiting for one to try throwing a lasso (btw, I thought you spelled it, 'lassoo') but no such luck .... yet!   :D

fsn

I didn't have a lot of toys in hospital.

Books mostly.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

03 May 2015, 06:37:42 PM #6 Last Edit: 03 May 2015, 06:45:27 PM by Westmarcher
Aaaaww! We remember. You had a tough time as wee laddie. Here's a virtual hug.  >:<

... but, now that you are a grown-up,* think of all the toys you now have!  Hooray! <:-P

*according to 11 out of 20 wargamers (spot poll result)**

** OK. I made it up. Well, you never know. One day, I might need Nobby's vote on a similar poll.***

*** actually, I didn't edit it all, despite what it says down there. Oh! Wait! I suppose this comment counts as an edit. D'oh! (what are you doing reading this, anyway?)

Westmarcher

Quote from: Westmarcher on 03 May 2015, 05:43:34 PM
What did you play with .... er ... when you were a lad?

Funny I should ask .... Bangers (small exploding fireworks). Great for pretending they were artillery explosions by placing them in mud (or muddy puddles) beside your toy soldiers. Also used to empty all of the 'gun powder' out of them and arrange the powder in a trail, just like you see in the movies. You would then light the trail and, instead of the flame slowly advancing along the trail of powder (just like the movies), to our immense disappointment, the whole trail was consumed in an instantaneous, underwhelming, split second cloud of white smoke.

So, things had to get more exciting. We started to throw lit ones at each other. We were pretending we were throwing grenades. We knew it was dangerous (but not fully aware how dangerous) and so only threw them at feet. Lucky I never blew my hand off one time. Mad.

fsn

I remember asking for a Johnny 7 rifle for Christmas.

Didn't get it.

I had a stick that was shaped a bit like a Sten.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

04 May 2015, 01:20:23 PM #9 Last Edit: 04 May 2015, 01:41:12 PM by Westmarcher
Me neither (I think that Toy Shop window must have been covered in drool and saliva) ... one of my mates got one though (so jealous!).

Had lots of stick guns (the AK-47 of my childhood). With nailed on magazines and nail triggers and sights.

Then got a plastic SLR (FN Rifle) with sights, carrying handle, sling and removable plastic bayonet. You could also fire plastic bullets and remove and reload the magazine. Fought in many a "Japs and Commandos" game. Then one day, I ran through a doorway holding the rifle in the 'wider than the doorway' position. Snap!  :'(  ... then it became a sub-machine gun. Hooray!  8)