Feeling left out

Started by Nosher, 25 April 2015, 02:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosher

Anyone else feeling left out :'(

Haven't attended a show in years - mainly due to cost. 

Travelling to and from anywhere in East Anglia is simply extortionate and more to the point downright painful. They always seem to be too far away from Payday (although Salute this year fell on payday but I'm having to watch the pennies as paying for accomodation and meals on my course which has wreaked havoc with my bank account!

Feeling distinctly isolated :(
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Leman

Never mind, you can always have a pleasant evening with your second cousin in East Anglia.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

25 April 2015, 02:31:47 PM #2 Last Edit: 25 April 2015, 03:01:23 PM by fsn
The best (only?) one near me is in St Helens. Unfortunately my brother has his birthday about the same time and apparently it's rude not to attend family functions.

I'm going this year!

Having said that, I don't miss it that much.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ferb

There's the Diceni show on May 3rd in Norwich you could go to.

Fenton

Yeah being over here in Belfast its is too expensive even to get over to Scotland for Claymore etc and too expensive for traders to get over here if we wanted to put one on
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Subedai

I only go to two shows a year now because of travelling costs and they are Cavalier in Tonbridge Wells and Broadside in Sittingbourne. Both very nice little shows of the 'Old School' type in that they have a pleasant, relaxed atmosphere which gives you plenty of time to browse and chat.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

WeeWars

I used to go to Salute every year when I lived in London so I feel the urge today as with every year. But we're lucky here because we can look forward to Carronade, a really good show, in only two weeks time. Carronade, also, has more of the charm of the pre scale-creep Salute, which I enjoy.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 25 April 2015, 02:31:47 PM
The best (only?) one near me is in St Helens. Unfortunately my brother has his birthday about the same time and apparently it's rude not to attend family functions.
I'm going this year!
Having said that, I don't miss it that much.

I was hoping you hadn't spotted the 'spelyngg misstayke' before you had a chance to edit it.
I was going to ask where Mount Brother was.....
Hey Ho !  ;)
Cheers - Phil

toxicpixie

I make it to Wargamer in B'ham (now Halesowen!) and WMMS in Wolves, and that's it - and that's only cos they're both local!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Sandinista

I was at Salute today and to be honest I don't think you missed much. I collected my pre-orders and that was it. nothing jumped out and said buy me and none of the games inspired me to take a photo. Travel and entry was more than p&p would have been, I know that doesn't help with the feeling of missing out but I was disappointed this year.

Cheers
Ian

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Campaign is free in two weeks! ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Last Hussar

I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Ithoriel

Claymore and Carronade for me.

Would like to get to some of the shows down South but as others have said .... too pricey. Travel, accommodation, entry, food & drink .... nothing left for new toys.  :(
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Westmarcher

Not feeling too left out (although wouldn't mind going to Salute and/or Vapnartak sometime).  Will miss out on Carronade (yet again) but usually manage Claymore - a kind of annual pilgrimage - wife and I stroll up the Royal Mile in Edinburgh and enjoy the Fringe street performers, then we go for a nice lunch, then she goes shopping & I go to Claymore. Usually a good day out.  :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Campaign is in Milton Keynes, in front of JohnLewis in the shopping centre!
All welcome.
'Lets go shopping dear, oh look, Toy soldiers!'
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner