Warbands Historical - Vikings list (wip)

Started by Bloodaxe, 24 April 2015, 07:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodaxe

24 April 2015, 07:21:22 PM Last Edit: 24 April 2015, 08:03:12 PM by Bloodaxe
I'm working on a army list for Vikings based on Warmaster Ancients Vikings.   Not a large selection of special troops and no cavalry. Lack of choices may turn off many.

I have:
Warlord (general)
Bondi (warriors)
Archers
Hirdmen (veterans)
Skirmishes
Berserker

Options for shieldwall, fierce, and powerful (great axes). Stats based on Barbarians & some Dragon Men .

Thoughts?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Bodvoc

Perhaps they need the option of having some light cavalry as scouts? Otherwise you seem to have it covered.
Ulfhandnar would be similar to berserkers so any need for an extra troop type?
Jomsvikings are 'legendary' so if used would need something like 'Resolute' to make them hang around longer?
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Bloodaxe

24 April 2015, 08:02:53 PM #3 Last Edit: 24 April 2015, 08:05:28 PM by Bloodaxe
Quote from: mad lemmey on 24 April 2015, 07:28:38 PM
Ulfhadnar?
Jomsvikings?
Raiders?

Would those really be different enough to give a different block of stats & a new unit type? Thats the question.  Historical armies wont have magic and will probably have less special choices. It would be neat to have Vikings vs. Elves or Romans vs. Orcs though.

Im not a historian, but Id like Historical lists to be based in historical fact. Did Vikings use cavalry in war, or catapults, etc? If not, Id be against it being added because they "need" it.

jchaos79

historical vikings ride, but they use the horses to get to the battefield, dismount and fight by foot.

Vikings do not use cavalry as units or formation.

Bloodaxe

Quote from: jchaos79 on 24 April 2015, 08:45:40 PM
historical vikings ride, but they use the horses to get to the battefield, dismount and fight by foot.

Vikings do not use cavalry as units or formation.

Thanks, I thought as much. A Riders of Rohan type army would be cool though.  :)

Bodvoc

But Vikings did use horses/ light cavalry to scout ahead.

Bloodaxe

24 April 2015, 09:54:28 PM #7 Last Edit: 24 April 2015, 10:14:27 PM by Bloodaxe
Quote from: Bodvoc on 24 April 2015, 09:27:59 PM
But Vikings did use horses/ light cavalry to scout ahead.

If they didnt actually fight from horseback, it probably shouldnt be a troop type.

Its just some ideas. The Vikings had some pretty straight forward tactics & limited troop types. Other historical armies, like Rome & Carthage would have more.

Leman

wouldn't it be possble to add some Viking mythology to an army going up against elves, eg Valkyrie flyers.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Bodvoc

...and Frost giants, Warriors of Valhalla, Trolls? All would be great for a Fantasy/Mythical Viking army.

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

cbr3d.com

Warband 'fantasy' and Warband 'historical' will allow a lot of crossing over of units.  Using a Viking Army of 8+ bases for example in Warband historical would also create the major core of a Viking Warband fantasy army, perhaps only needing to substitute 2 - 4 bases (or indeed just add on those bases giving a larger army).  

Leman

Crossing over? Is this why Vikings wore eye make-up and braided their hair?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Chieftain

Fastasy 'Vikings'?

Fjord Men

Commander unit (1)
Jarl
Magic user unit (0-1)
Rune-sage
Core units (200pts+)
Archers
Scouts
Warriors
Optional units (0-200pts)
Battle skalds
Berserkers
Fjord elves
Mountain dwarves
Mountain giants
Stone elementals
Wereravens
Werewolves
Ygdrasi tree folk
Ymiri primordials

:-\
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner