Help, my spray varnish is blocked!

Started by Bodvoc, 12 April 2015, 11:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bodvoc

I need the help of my esteemed and knowledgeable Forum colleagues, I now have 5 tins of Humbrol Matt spray varnish on which the nozzle is blocked with only half of the tin used up at best. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to clear the blockage? I always spray the can upside for a while after use and I have even tried soaking the nozzles in turps overnight to no effect. Any ideas?
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

FierceKitty

Can't you transfer a spray nozzle from another aerosol cannister?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Fenton

I have never had this happen. My only advice would be to try putting it somewhere warm for a while to see if that helps
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Bodvoc

Wow, that was quick work chaps. The problem with transferring a nozzle from another can is it has to be either a new can and unused or from the same type of can, I wonder if on ebay you can get just nozzles? I also keep my spray cans indoors as they have been affected by frost when kept in the shed.

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Ithoriel

Only had it happen once and I managed to clear the nozzle with CAREFUL application of a sewing needle. I levered off the plastic nozzle and worked on it from both ends of the opening. Certain amount of gentle poking and prodding required, having a thimble to hand was definitely useful.

I am assured that attempting the same on the can itself is something you do not want to do and that ignoring this advice is something you will only ever do once!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

I've seen it tried. Amusing but messy.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Bodvoc

Hah! a quick search on ebay, a pack of 10 new nozzles for £2-99 now on it's way to me, has to be worth a try?
I may also get a needle out later and try that idea but only on the nozzle. Reminds me of when at college when some friends and I borrowed a keg of beer from the college bar and when we whacked the nozzle with a screwdriver we all got covered with beer spraying out all over the place. Even worse, we were doing this in my room which stank of beer ever after!

Subedai

When I used spray varnish waaay back in the day I always cleared the nozzle by turning the can upside down and spraying the residue out. Then I took the nozzle off and kept it in a small jar of turps until needed again. Quick clean with a piece of tissue or an cotton bud and off I went. Never had a blockage while I was doing that.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Leman

I think the lesson here is apply varnish by brush. I started doing this about ten years ago and have never looked back. I use Vallejo and Windsor and Newton acrylics.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ithoriel

Quote from: Leman on 12 April 2015, 02:11:21 PM
I think the lesson here is apply varnish by brush.

Ars longa, vita brevis*

I'll stick with spray cans :)

*Techniques endure, life is short
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data