[BATREP] Find the Prize - dwarves and goblins

Started by Luddite, 11 April 2015, 01:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

Ouch... The dwarves aren't doing very well so far! If you tactic is "sit there and let them come on in the same old way" you'd better bring some good shooting :D

Maybe Bloodax can even the score when his stunties arrive ;)

Can't see the hidden message. Do I have to close one eye and tilt the phone up whilst focusing on the end of my nose?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Luddite

11 April 2015, 12:27:22 PM #16 Last Edit: 11 April 2015, 12:29:12 PM by Luddite
Yeah, on paper the hill dwarves look impressive.

I think the mistakes have all been in tactics so far.  None of my group has figured out how to use the little hairy fellows yet (including me  :D ).  It doesn't help that i've not yet painted the fun stuff like cannons and gyrocopters.  

Generally i think with Warband, a mixed army composition that give you mobility, shooting, melee, magic, and decent command is your start point - you then need to get your tactics right.

Perhaps the lack of hills demoralised the hill dwarves!

Watching the battle was really interesting.

Early on, the dwarf player played a blinder with the tactics around how to ensure the 'prize' was in his area and easy to defend.

But i think the goblin mobility, archery, magic, and ability to outflank and chew up the static dwarf line recovered the disadvantaged position.

The dwarves reliance on being a 'wall of iron' was their only tactic given the army build.  The player was trying something out (a solid line of warriors).  It didn't seem to work!   ;D

Good fun though, and the general comments from the players boiled down to, 'there are so many layers of tactical considerations, and decisions to make' in Warband, and that's what makes it fun.   :)
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Bloodaxe

Quote from: Luddite on 11 April 2015, 12:27:22 PM
Yeah, on paper the hill dwarves look impressive.

I think the mistakes have all been in tactics so far.  None of my group has figured out how to use the little hairy fellows yet (including me  :D ).  It doesn't help that i've not yet painted the fun stuff like cannons and gyrocopters.  

Generally i think with Warband, a mixed army composition that give you mobility, shooting, melee, magic, and decent command is your start point - you then need to get your tactics right.

Perhaps the lack of hills demoralised the hill dwarves!

Watching the battle was really interesting.

Early on, the dwarf player played a blinder with the tactics around how to ensure the 'prize' was in his area and easy to defend.

But i think the goblin mobility, archery, magic, and ability to outflank and chew up the static dwarf line recovered the disadvantaged position.

The dwarves reliance on being a 'wall of iron' was their only tactic given the army build.  The player was trying something out (a solid line of warriors).  It didn't seem to work!   ;D

Good fun though, and the general comments from the players boiled down to, 'there are so many layers of tactical considerations, and decisions to make' in Warband, and that's what makes it fun.   :)

A big thank you to you for posting some great battle reports. Looking forward to more! THANKS!

Luddite

I'm really looking forwards to seeing your hill dwarves in action Bloodaxe.   :D

Clearly i've not figured out how to use the army yet so hopefully you'll lead the way as the guru on dwarves tactics.   ;) m/

What do you think we've been doing wrong with the dwarves?

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

toxicpixie

This game too static - you can't cover your flanks and resist the softening up, them the Gobboes crash into you at their choice of best odds - flank, out numbered, shot up. It's still a grid for them but they can throw the big hitters in where it counts whilst the rest of the dwarves get screened off and chewed up a bit. Then rinse, repeat until they break you...

Previous games were similar but the little movement the dwarves got jut made it worse - they got strung out first, the. Screened and shot up then concentrated on and ground down in detail.

I would guess... A mix of shooters and artillery backed with a solid core of warriors would be better for this - an something In reserve that's mobile enough to leap out and cover whichever flank te Gobboes come round? That way you can attrit the Gobboes on the way in and then take their charge on the warriors... Or more generally advance to somewhere useful whilst shootin up the enemy so your warriors can go in at favourable odds, screened or supported by the copters/ponie knights/rangers?

Otherwise with that "all warriors" you're setting yourself up as Harold G at Hastings...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Bloodaxe

I'm agreeing with Toxicpixie. Protect your flanks. Possibly put stronger units there to protect your line. A mix of shooting & infantry. Shoot units that are going to possibly used as flankers. Make them a priority target. Advance in line, don't let units get isolated & unsupported.

Take this with a grain of salt, as I have not played a single game, I've only read 3 battles.  I think the Dwarves won one of them though!

Luddite

Quote from: toxicpixie on 11 April 2015, 12:50:31 PM
Otherwise with that "all warriors" you're setting yourself up as Harold G at Hastings...

:D

Great analogy toxicpixie!

I also agree with your assessments.  You need a flexible multi-capability force to achieve success in Warband.  'One trick ponies' seem to suffer.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

So maybe this is why Dear Dwarfs need Doggies! ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Bloodaxe

I would like to see how an all shooting force would perform.

stenicplus

Quote from: Bloodaxe on 11 April 2015, 01:09:04 PM
I think the Dwarves won one of them though!

Indeed  :D

If you are going wall of steel then Shieldwall is a must.

Bloodaxe

Quote from: stenicplus on 11 April 2015, 04:21:46 PM
Indeed  :D

If you are going wall of steel then Shieldwall is a must.

http://www.slimreidy1.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/waaargh-time-as-green-skins-go-to-war.html

Did you win with Dwarves?  

The battle i was thinking of, the Dwarves lost that one too. Three reports Ive seen, three Dwarf losses.

Anyone win with dwarves yet?

Luddite

Bloodaxe

jchaos79

Very nice figures, and exqusite narrated battle, a pleasure to read.

Specially like the look of the gnome (now I am thinking in buying a gnome army pack mmmmh)

I wonder why dwarves did not attack to goblins archers instead stay sitting in the line waiting to be break

Orks n goblins seems to be though in warband, great.

thanks for sharing the game