Helping out an old friend with 15mm Napoleonics.

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 09 April 2015, 05:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Subedai

Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Another 55 done. Hope to varnish and despatch tomorrow.

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Duke Speedy of Leighton

One month since the last batch...
Command and Voltiguiers

Deserters

Drummers

Fannions

Budgies

Ocifurs
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

toxicpixie

Budgies! Budgies! Getcha budgie onna stick! Tasty budgie onna stick 'ere, goin' cheap!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

FierceKitty

Do I remember that budgerigar is an Anglicised version of an Australian word meaning "tasty food"?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

toxicpixie

That's apparently apocryphal but it is an appealing thought! Like "Hill-Hill-Hill" or "Who is this idiot who doesn't know what a river is? River"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budgerigar#Etymology
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

FierceKitty

Your link supports the reading.

... it is quite possible that reports by those local to the region are more accurate in specifying the direct translation as "good food".

toxicpixie

Not quite - different thing, in that they may LEAD to "good food", not be "tasty food" themselves...

QuoteWhile many references mention "good" as part of the meaning, and a few specify "good bird", it is quite possible that reports by those local to the region are more accurate in specifying the direct translation as "good food".[24] There are apocryphal reports that this could also translate as "tasty treat", implying they were eaten by the aboriginals. However, it is more likely the name derived from their migratory nature. With seasonal changes that left parts of the Liverpool Plains barren, they would move to areas with residual water, that still produced the seeds they sought. By following the birds, the aboriginals could locate water, and also other game and food plants. Thus, the birds could lead them to "good food".

FierceKitty

I wasn't aware I was implying that they were tasty food. On reviewing my post, I find my ignorance persists.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

And over there to the left you can see the topic, in a different track!!

toxicpixie

Ah, the internet is a blunt medium -

QuoteDo I remember that budgerigar is an Anglicised version of an Australian word meaning "tasty food"?

followed by the chopped quote from wiki omitting the "but not that they're good to eat themselves, but instead imply where good food might found for humans" part had me thinking you were implying they were called good to eat food :)