Minibits custom hex board progress

Started by Si Tyler, 06 April 2015, 03:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

Gordon - I'm hurrying, man  :D :D

V/R,
Jack

Shecky

Are the hex boards available on the minibits website or did you special order them? I may have missed it, how big are the hexes?

I can think of a number of uses for the hex boards - none of which involve keeping money in my wallet. :)

Le Manchou

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Leon

Quote from: Shecky on 11 April 2015, 05:26:48 AM
Are the hex boards available on the minibits website or did you special order them? I may have missed it, how big are the hexes?

These were a custom job, although really I should add a section to the website so that we can list handy things like these.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Si Tyler

14 April 2015, 10:28:20 AM #34 Last Edit: 14 April 2015, 10:38:31 AM by Si Tyler
QuoteComing along nicely. Are you going to add any physical features, other than roads and rivers?

Terrain and Features.

Roads
Railways
Rivers/Canals
Built up areas
runways
installations
Beach
Marsh
Rough ground

As they are all for my aircraft to fly over they are being kept in low relief.

Painted sand for the rough ground. Need to add the ridge lines in and delineate the hex sides on the large areas of rough ground

plasticard representations of buildings and bridges.  You can just make out the two bridges which are about 1mm high in this photo.

Just starting work on the Haiphong area

QuoteAre the hex boards available on the minibits website or did you special order them? I may have missed it, how big are the hexes?
There was a discussion on the minibits section about custom MDF work.  Leon and I then developed these back and forth trying different orientation and combination of hexes and then Leon sent me a pair of test pieces to confirm before I placed my order.  These are 38mm across flats which is about 1 1/2" so are fine for jet aircraft.  The larger twin engined support aircraft make it a bit crowded.  As there were 20 boards made up I arranged to collect from show rather than risk damage in the post.

In game shot using the boards

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

Lookin good! How bugs the total table area?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

getagrip

Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

That is really excellent !  :-bd
Cheers - Phil

Si Tyler

Each component board is 8 hexes across by 15 hexes long.  When all 20 are put together it is 232cm x 133cm (if I measured it correctly yesterday) or 55 inches by 88 Inches which is 4' 9" x 7' 4").

I have just started work on the Haiphong area which is the next set of targets needed and I hope to get some more shots up tonight plus another game flying a US Navy strike against Kep and Vu Cha which are on the top half of the boards.  No SAMs needed so can get away only using the top 10 boards.  My plan is that as I fly a mission I will do the detailing on the boards used to try and keep progress moving along.

toxicpixie

Nice, Si - that's a big area :)

And two of those hex sets would make a Battletech board, I think...

Good luck cracking on!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Bodvoc

'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Si Tyler

Started on the Haiphong board. The rivers need to be lightened up using gloss brown in the middle of the channels and I also need to work on the sea and beach hexes.  Built up area is all cut out and will get added tonight.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner