Gathering the troops

Started by fred., 04 April 2015, 07:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

I've spent a while this afternoon going through the Warband army lists and seeing what  I can field - the bad news (for Leon) is that I can field several armies without needing to buy more stuff, the good news (for me) is that I can field several armies right now!

Dragon Men Empire style. Using a core of WM Empire figures I can field Crossbows, Men At Arms, Knights, Cannons and Handgunners. I have options using Zweihanders as Powerful MAA, Flagellents as Impetous MAA, and probably Pistolleers as Marcher Horse. With a bit of painting I can add Giants and probably Pegasi - though might need a few more figures for these. What I can't field (of figures I have painted) are pikes and Steam tanks.

Dragon Men Araby style. I have a mix of GW, Pendraken and MM Araby figures. With a bit of a different flavour to the above, can go with Archers, Spearmen, Cannons, Handgunners, Knights, several variations of Macher Horse to represent the various light cav. I am wondering about using Elephants as Giants/Ogres. With some painting I can add Peasents.  What I can't field, Flying Carpets, Camel Riders

High Elves Probably my biggest WM army. I can field all the options - apart from catapults. I'm intrigued by being able to add water Elementals and unicorns.  I can't field my Horse Archers, but I think all my other troops can be fielded.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

04 April 2015, 07:42:11 PM #1 Last Edit: 04 April 2015, 08:53:41 PM by fred 12df
Goblins and Orcs I have piles of Orcs and Goblins but not much painted. But I can still probably field a Warband force, Wolf Riders and Warriors being the core,with some archers, spiders, Giants & Ogres, and Trolls briniging up the points with with some hard hitters. With some painting I can add some more options, some Cave Horrors sound fun!

Lizardmen my most recently painted army, and nearly all Pendraken. Lizardmen Warriors and Newtmen hunters will make up the core. With Raptor Riders and forest Trolls in support. A key unit that seems to be missing is Lizard Riders - I've got loads of these! It would be good to field some Dionosaurs too

Taurians Minotaurs and Centaurs what's not to like!  Unicorns can be added too. On the to be painted pile would be be Giants and Pegasui. I've probably got some left over centaurs to make some centaur archers too. And a Rhino pack sounds fun.

Wood Elves. Looking at the list I should be able to put together a force - I might be a bit tight on the core troops but I'm sure ive got some more archers and spearmen waiting to be painted. And I have lots of the extras, Gaint spiders, Eagles, tree Elementals, unicorns, and water Elementals.

So 7 armies ready to go! well when Leon gets the sabot bases in the post  ;)

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Bloodaxe

Lets see some pictures!  You can probably use Flying Carpets as units of Pegasi.  ;)

fred.

Pictures in a few days - busy with family stuff tomorrow.

I wondered about flying carpets as Pegasi - but it would be good to give them a shooting attack.

Luddite

Make them the magic user unit?
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Leon

Quote from: fred    12df on 04 April 2015, 07:42:11 PM
So 7 armies ready to go! well when Leon gets the sabot bases in the post  ;)

Posted out on Thursday, so should be with you on Tuesday (stupid Easter weekend!)

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Bloodaxe

Quote from: fred    12df on 04 April 2015, 08:53:02 PM
Pictures in a few days - busy with family stuff tomorrow.

I wondered about flying carpets as Pegasi - but it would be good to give them a shooting attack.

Could always just use them as Marcher Horse. They are fast & have a shooting attacks. They are just flying close to the ground.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Bloodaxe on 04 April 2015, 10:22:57 PM
Could always just use them as Marcher Horse. They are fast & have a shooting attacks. They are just flying close to the ground.

Hope there are no telegraph wires in the Warband world...

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fred.

Quote from: Leon on 04 April 2015, 10:14:49 PM
Posted out on Thursday, so should be with you on Tuesday (stupid Easter weekend!)

8)

Excellent

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: ianrs54 on 05 April 2015, 08:48:34 AM
Hope there are no telegraph wires in the Warband world...

IanS
Never stopped Vulcan bomber pilots!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

But a Vulcan is rather bigger and MUCH faster......

IanS

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You ever been on a Magic Carpet!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

05 April 2015, 11:46:02 AM #12 Last Edit: 05 April 2015, 11:48:25 AM by toxicpixie

Might be tricky judging by that...

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Saw them do that one live at Mountford hall - 73/4....

IanS  ;)

toxicpixie

Lovely stuff :) I wasn't even born :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting