Warband in other scales

Started by Fenton, 18 April 2015, 12:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenton

Ok this might be heresy and I am sure something about it is mentioned in the Book of Revelations  but here goes

Some friends who play KOW in 28mm are keen to give warband a go and I was wondering what sort of base sizes would people recommend?. I was thinking of 120x60 myself but using base widths that might make our 6x4 table seem quite small

Any other suggestions?
Cheers
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

toxicpixie

Play with the 100mm but only four wide for the mini's?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Kiwidave

18 April 2015, 01:18:17 PM #2 Last Edit: 18 April 2015, 01:21:57 PM by Kiwidave
We've (Stenicplus, another gaming friend and I) have played two games so far with 28mm (GW Dwarves, GW Elves and Dark Age Rus respectively) using 120 x 60mm as this allows them to use the figures that they have based up for other systems with 60x30mm bases.

The only minor problem was that the Elven chariots take up a lot of room depth-wise. The table was not overy full, and maybe we lacked a bit of manoeuvre space, but the games went well and were enjoyable.

Steve has posted one AAR here: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,11850.0.html

Luddite

KoW  'small' units would fit in the 100x50mm ballpark wouldn't they?

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Fenton

I dont think I explained it very well

Would you think say using 60mm as a base width effect the game too much  when using 120mm wide bases?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Chieftain

Any base size which is 2x1 will work perfectly fine. 

So a 120mm x 60mm base will work.
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

Kiwidave

Fenton - I'm guessing you mean use 60mm as the base movement, with 120mm frontage?

Probably be OK, although it might take a while to get into contact.

Fenton

Cheers guys, we'll have a play and see what happens

Chieftain

Quote from: Kiwidave on 18 April 2015, 05:52:28 PM
Fenton - I'm guessing you mean use 60mm as the base movement, with 120mm frontage?

Probably be OK, although it might take a while to get into contact.

Ah right.  OK, give it a go Fenton.  The rules are designed with the BW being the core unit and matching the actual base frontages.  Larger bases with smaller move distances will have a significant impact on the ability of units to move and maneouvre.
Official Guru of our Warband rules!