Ratmen Army list?

Started by Bloodaxe, 02 April 2015, 04:02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodaxe

I have the pdf of Warbands and have played other Rat-like fantasy armies in the past, so Ive been thinking of throwing together an army list for the Ratmen. It will use the other 12 lists as a base and steal some units from them, or be based upon existing units for stats/points.
More soon.

paulr

He's been on the forum five minutes, had the rules a day or two, and already he's tinkering around coming up with new lists

I think he will fit in rather well  ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Bloodaxe

02 April 2015, 05:23:24 AM #2 Last Edit: 02 April 2015, 05:27:37 AM by Bloodaxe
HA! ;D Thanks!

Im really not coming up with anything original, but using already existing units to represent a Ratmen army.

Here are my thoughts.....

Ratmen are a cowardly lot in general, so i based most troops on the Goblin & Orc list. Other special "optional" units were taken from other lists. I picked something as close as I could. (or what i though anyway...)

Commander Unit (1)
Rat Lord as Goblin Chieftan.

Magic-user Unit (0-1)
Rat Warlock as Goblin Shaman

Core Units (200+ points)
Blunderbuss as Goblin Archers
Warriors as Goblin Warriors
Slaves as Dragon Men Peasant Levies

Optional units (0-200 points)
Rat Guard as Dragon Men Foot Knights
Death Cult Monks as Barbarian Berserkers
Sewer Scouts as Goblin Scouts
Giant Rat Swarms as Undead Dire Wolves
Rat Ogres as Ogres & Giants (or possibly Minotaurs?)
Assassins as Dark Elf Assassins
Weapons of Destruction as Dragon Men Cannons (Lightning cannons, Fire throwers,etc.)
Rat Abomination as Barbarian Mammoth

cbr3d.com

02 April 2015, 09:56:46 AM #3 Last Edit: 02 April 2015, 09:59:00 AM by Fig.ht
Quote from: paulr on 02 April 2015, 04:12:42 AM
He's been on the forum five minutes, had the rules a day or two, and already he's tinkering around coming up with new lists

I think he will fit in rather well  ;D

He will be a General in no time at all!   :)

Bloodaxe

02 April 2015, 07:18:25 PM #4 Last Edit: 02 April 2015, 07:26:45 PM by Bloodaxe
I tried to post a  homemade army sheet- file too large- wont post.

Leon

There's a 128kb maximum file size unfortunately, just so we don't clog up the servers.  If you've got a blog or Facebook or something similar, you can upload it their and then just link to it?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Bloodaxe

I'll write out the list here when I get a chance. A quick & easy way would be to just use the Goblin & Orc list- but thats not as fun. Skaven...er...I mean ...Ratmen have some fun  & interesting units.

cbr3d.com

I have both a Ratmen army and League of Ratsburg army coming next week so would love to see as many army lists as possible along these lines.    :)

(I have ordered a wide variety of of the fantasy range to see how they could be developed as individual armies or at least incorporated as allied or mercenary units with the existing listed ranges.)

Bloodaxe

Quote from: Fig.ht on 03 April 2015, 03:33:36 PM
I have both a Ratmen army and League of Ratsburg army coming next week so would love to see as many army lists as possible along these lines.    :)

(I have ordered a wide variety of of the fantasy range to see how they could be developed as individual armies or at least incorporated as allied or mercenary units with the existing listed ranges.)

When you get them- post a few pics!  Ive found some pics on Kallistra, but others would be great too. My slist is based on the Skaven mostly.

Bloodaxe

03 April 2015, 03:49:44 PM #9 Last Edit: 03 April 2015, 04:03:40 PM by Bloodaxe
Commander (1)

Rat Lord
CP           MT    MV   ML     PR       MO     PTS
2d6+1     2d6    1    2d6    2d6      5       75
2d6         2d6    1    2d6    2d6      5       65
2d6-1      2d6    1    2d6    2d6      5       60

The Rat Lord unit may have FIERCE for +5pts or SHIELDWALL for +5pts.

Rat Lord- Rat warriors who have risen through the ranks through sheer savagery. They lead by fear, violence & intimidation.

==============
Notes:
i used the Goblin & Orc list leaders. I figured they were about the same in bravery & leadership. I took off the highest level as Rats arent that brave.

Figures used: any Ratmen command/Leader looking types with appropriate retinue.

Bloodaxe

03 April 2015, 03:59:38 PM #10 Last Edit: 03 April 2015, 04:20:48 PM by Bloodaxe
Magic user unit (0-1)

Rat Seer
MP          MT      MV     ML       PR     MO    PTS
1d6+1     2d6     1       1d6     1d6    4      73
1d6         2d6     1       1d6     1d6    4      64
1d6-1      2d6     1       1d6     1d6    4      60

The Rat Seer will use the Goblin & Orc spell list for now, I'll change the names to something more suitable for Ratmen.

Rat Seer- These verminous warlocks cast mighty spells of destruction. The greatest among the seers have grey fur.

Figures- any wizardly figure, necromancer/priest ratmen.

=============
Notes:
I used the Goblin & Orc list for Shamans.

Bloodaxe

03 April 2015, 04:19:52 PM #11 Last Edit: 03 April 2015, 05:30:42 PM by Bloodaxe
Core Units (200+)

MT     MV    SH      RA    ML    PR       MO     PTS
Blunderbuss                 2d6    1       2d6    4      1d6   1d6      4       40
Warriors                      2d6    1        -        -      2d6   2d6      4       28
Slaves                         1d6    1        -        -      1d6   1d6      3       12

** You may only have one unit of Slaves for each unit of Blunderbuss or Warriors. **

One unit of Blunderbuss, Warriors, Rat Guard or Monks may have a HERO for +10pts.

Blunderbuss units may have POWERFUL WITH SLOW SHOT for free.

Warrior units may have FIERCE or SHIELDWALL for +5pts.

Blunderbuss- These Ratmen troops are armed with primitive handguns, some are modified to shoot a more powerful shot.
Warriors- These are basic warriors drawn from the warrior clans.
Slaves- Ratmen who are the lowest of the low. Small & weak, they are expendable.

Figures- Small Ratmen for Slaves.  Warriors- any fighter types with mixed weapons. Blunderbuss use handguns.

===================
I used the basic Goblin & Orc list for warriors & Blunderbuss (Archers). I gave the Blunderbuss the option the Hill Dwarfs have to upgrade to more powerful/slow weapons.
Slaves are the Peasant Levies from the Dragon Men list.

Bloodaxe

Optional Units (0-200)

part one
                       MT      MV     SH      RA     ML     PR        MO   PTS
Rat Guard          2d6     1        -        -       2d6    3d6      5      45     FORMED
Death Monks      3d6     1        -        -       3d6    1d6      4      47     FIERCE IMPETUOUS
Assassins           3d6     1       1d6     2      3d6    1d6      3      47     POWERFUL SKIRMISH
Scouts              2d6     1       1d6     1      1d6    1d6      3      26     SKIRMISH

One unit of Blunderbuss, Warriors, Rat Guard or Death Monks may have a HERO for +10pts.

Assassins may have SWIFT for +5pts.

Rat Guard may have FIERCE for +5pts.

Scouts may have PARTING SHOT for +5pts.

Rat Guard- These are the largest & strongest of the warriors. These black furred killers have the best weapons and armor.
Death Monks- Crazed fanatics of the plague cult they are ferocious in a fight, but hard to control.
Assassins- Dark cloaked killers sent to slay enemy generals or wizards.
Scouts- Light armored, fast units with bombs or slings used to attack weak or isolated enemies.

Figures- Rat Guard- large ratmen with armor/polearm.  Assassin- large ratman with dagger painted black.  Scout- ratmen with sling or gas bombs, bombs.  Monks- ratmen with dagger, assorted weapons, perhaps command or wizardly types added.

=================
Rat Guard are the Foot Knights from the Dragon Men list.
Scouts are from the Goblin & Orc list.
Death Monks are Berserkers from the Barbarian Men.
Assassins are from Dark Elf list.

Bloodaxe

Optional Units (0-200)

part two

MT      MV    SH   RA    ML     PR     MO    PTS
Rat Swarms                         2d6     1      -      -      2d6   1d6    3       26    FIERCE IMPETUOUS
Rat Ogres                            2d6     2      -     -       3d6   2d6    4       61    FEAR FIERCE POWERFUL
Weapons of Destruction        1d6     1      4d6  6     1d6   1d6    3        49   DEFENSIVE POWERFUL SLOW SHOT
Abomination/Bell/Car            2d6     2       -     -      4d6   3d6    5       90    FEAR FIERCE POWERFUL

Rat Swarms- Huge swarms of giant rats are follow the ratman army to feast on the fallen.
Rat Ogres- Large creatures bred for war, huge muscled rat men.
Weapons of Destruction- flame throwers, ratling guns, other crazed weapons of mass destruction invented by the ratmen.
Abomination/armored car/chariot/ Screaming bell-  giant weapons of destruction.

Figures- Rat swarms- i think the lurker rat figures can be used for these.  Rat ogres- modified Minotaur figures- chop off head & add tail. There is a post doing this somewhere on the forum.
Weapons of Destruction- flame throwers, assault rifles, ghetto blasters, cannons- anything like that.
Abomination- rat armored car/chariot, bell platform with accompanying unit of guards, or a home-made horrible giant rat creature. Something large & nasty.

=========
Notes:
Rat swarms are Undead list Dire Wolves
Rat Ogres are Taurian Minotaurs.
Weapons of Destruction are Dragon Men Cannons.
Abominations are Barbarian War Mammoths.

Bloodaxe

So there you have it. I was hoping to create an army list sheet that looks like those in the Warband rulebook, but i dont have the skill. If anyone here does, feel free.  I saw the post on creating Rat Ogre figures from Minotaurs- I'll try to link that here when i get a chance.
The Ratmen list has many opportunities for cool models. A Screaming Bell with guard unit, large Lightning cannon or fire thrower, giant mutant rat monster. Great fun.