Measuring distances

Started by fred., 30 March 2015, 07:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

I've been reading through Warband, and really like the look of it, both rules wise and layout wise.

One thing I can't see mentioned explicitly is how distances are intended to be measured. I think for movement the intention is to measure the distance the furthest point of the base moves - I.e the outside of the wheel or turn. Some of the diagrams indicate this, and the explanation of the 180° pivot seems to say this.
But as it seems possible to do both wheels and pivots this is not totally clear.

For ranges I assume the target is in range if any part of it is inside the shooting channel? So measure directly forward from any part of the shooter to the target, and if this is RA or less then it's in range.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Chieftain

For movement of units, no part of the unit's base may move further than the generated distance.  So in most cases, determining which part of the base will move furthest and measuring from there is the best option.

For determining whether something is in range for shooting, that target must be at or closer than the listed attack range, and inside the shooting unit's shooting lane, that is at least part of the target is in front of the shooting unit.

See Distances (p4), and Shooting lane and target priority (p27).
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

fred.

30 March 2015, 09:06:51 PM #2 Last Edit: 30 March 2015, 09:08:45 PM by fred 12df
Thanks for the quick response.

I've checked both those pages - and I don't think either answer is explicit. They are both sort of common sense - but the method of measuring does vary between rules.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts