Rhodesian Bush War

Started by alanl, 28 March 2015, 10:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanl

Any thoughts of doing what would be a fairly small range of figures and vehicles for this period which has become rather popular in 20 and 28mm for fireforce level of games? 

10mm would allow for company size actions, as a bit of variety.

Sunray

Hi Alan, (Alan from Mid Antrim ?) yes, quite a bit of requesting over the years for more generic 10mm versions of what Peter Pig does so well in 15mm.
For that reason we lobbied that the Falklands Range be kept reasonably clean of South Atlantic layers of clothing, so they could be played in more temperate and tropical scenarios.

The new Commando figures will have the same flexibility.  Any figure in a beret has potential. Even Korean if not too padded.

What's missing of course is a  small range of   AK47 armed post war figure in fatigue  cap that be painted up to represent a wide range of Third World armies.  Including Arab - 1973 etc

I am currently working up two late 1960s/early 70s  era  forces.  One is ' Falklands Paras painted in the old style Mk2 Denison, supplemented by WW2 Brit Paras, and an opponent based on a range of fatigue type  cap figures that takes in WW1 Austrian, DKA and items like the US Marines Bazooka team.  I have also gamed this latter force as Castro's Cubans against Batista's (WW2 American figures) force.  It was a useful outing for WW2 armour.  I used BR165 ( Challenger) to play Comets

But yes Alan, late 1970s bush war figures would sell well.

fsn

Did someone say post WWII British Armour?  :D

Isn't there a Comet in the pipeline? 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

alanl

Sunray

Quote from: fsn on 28 March 2015, 02:55:21 PM
Did someone say post WWII British Armour?  :D

Isn't there a Comet in the pipeline? 

Yes, and I will buy a troop when they appear, but sometimes in wargames you need the item in the here and now, and the Challenger A30  is a an ungainly but useful piece of kit.  Hull down in static  it plays well by BKC rules.

For logistical reasons the Comet missed Korea. The Churchill, Cromwell and that other tank ....the what's it called  ? FV4011 all served with distinction.

bigjackmac

Sorry, I missed this earlier, but I'm definitely in for any type of post-WWII African bush-war stuff.

V/R,
Jack

alanl

Just wondering if any developments?

Sunray

Quote from: alanl on 20 April 2019, 01:06:35 PM
Just wondering if any developments?

Hi Alan (from Antrim)  :)

The Korean range is available with a lot of softcaps, berets and bush hats. 1950s small arms.

Leon has parked things until the cash recovery of the design production of such a comprehensive range is to a degree recovered.

The next venture looks like Arab - Israeli 1970s .   And at some point Cold War.   As you can see, the AVFs are already available.

However........

Irregular Miniatures do a small range of Bush War figures - all with AK47s   

With them and items from Pendraken Korean range you could knock up a ZIPRA/ZANO force and create Rhodesian forces from Pendraken Vietnam Australian range. 

Nick the Lemming

I'm not sure I'd mix Pendraken and Irregular 10mm, the quality difference is massive (Pendraken being excellent, IM not so much).

Sunray

Quote from: Nick the Lemming on 20 April 2019, 08:07:46 PM
I'm not sure I'd mix Pendraken and Irregular 10mm, the quality difference is massive (Pendraken being excellent, IM not so much).

The  better Irregular sculpts work well. The best are the codes in the Soviet helmet.   I have posted images on pervious threads . :)

Sunray

Quote from: Nick the Lemming on 20 April 2019, 08:07:46 PM

On the few occasions that IM 10mm figures have lacked quality control -  Ian has always refunded or replaced.

His best work is compatible with Pendraken, Mini Figs or even Arrowhead -  I have them on the same base.