[1809] Austrian Uhlans vs French Guard Lancers

Started by Leon026, 27 March 2015, 05:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon026

27 March 2015, 05:28:25 PM Last Edit: 27 March 2015, 05:32:29 PM by Leon026
This may sound blasphemous, but what is the difference (besides color) between the Austrian Uhlan uniform and the French Guard/Polish lancer uniform? I'm asking this because I'm debating about purchasing some Austrian Uhlan miniatures and painting them as French Guard lancers (1st, 2nd Guard Lancers, or 3rd Scout Lancers)

Hertsblue

The uniforms of the Austrian uhlans were remarkably similar to those of the French Guard lancers and in 10mm would double as the latter quite easily. The 3rd Eclaireurs (scouts) of the Guard were described as wearing a similar dark blue uniform to the Polish Lancers of the Guard (to whom they were attached) since they were formed from Polish troopers. They were, however, only active from January to March 1814, after which they were disbanded.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Rob

Hi Leon,

The uniform is different. The Polish lancers fringed epaullete is on his right shoulder whilst on the left on the uhlan figure. The plume is a different style. Most obvious though is the horse furniture of an Austrian Uhlan is different to French.

I have some Austrian uhlans which you will see in this thread:
http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,9156.0.html

Unfortunatly the pictures are not great.

Anyway, I am waiting with anticipation for Leon's second package of 1809 Guard figures to be shown. This hopefully will have the Guard Polish Chevauxleger in it. Although these were sword armed in 1809 it makes sense to do them also as a lance armed figure as these were the the Guard Polish lancers from late 1809.

Perhaps best to wait and see what Leon shows us Leon.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Leon026

Oh good point, I really didn't think about the horse's furniture - I think I'll indeed wait a bit to see what Leon will show us :)