polemos ACW

Started by getagrip, 25 March 2015, 10:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getagrip

Quote from: toxicpixie on 31 March 2015, 09:48:10 AM
Black Powder is specifically for C18/19th warfare, so covers ACW :)

They're rather a "toolset" of rules, as whilst you use the same framework for any period within them, the conflict specific flavour comes from the bucket of potential special rules and tweaks you can apply.

They're not to everyone's taste, but if you like the *Master series you'll probably like them, and certainly find them simple to pick up!

Thanks Nathan. :)

Do they have army lists?

Although I'm thinking these wouldn't be very detailed for ACW:

1)  Infantry....DONE! :D
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

toxicpixie

I assume so... it's a pretty popular conflict and they normally have a small "potted army list" section for each big one. I only own Pike & Shotte though so can't tell you for certain! I suspect they do as Warlord produce ACW figures so likely support them in the rules ;)

Infantry - might be similar, although you'd tweak the stats up and down appropriately so particularly steady brigades might have an extra point of Stamina (take four hits not three to lose a base), or maybe a special rule to reroll a Cohesion test, different shooting dice/different ranges for muskets or rifled muskets or breech loaders etc.

There's a shedload of articles on the Warlords site tagged for ACW but I can't find any definitive "we have army lists ready made" on there, but I'd guess it does. Anyone with a copy that can tell us?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

ACW Gamer, the Ezine for ACW gamers, issue 1. This contains a large ACW supplement for Black Powder called Crucible of Valor (sic). It is obtainable by issue through Wargame Vault.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

getagrip

Thanks Nathan, great help. ;)

getagrip

Quote from: Leman on 31 March 2015, 10:04:21 AM
ACW Gamer, the Ezine for ACW gamers, issue 1. This contains a large ACW supplement for Black Powder called Crucible of Valor (sic). It is obtainable by issue through Wargame Vault.

Ooh, brilliant. :)

That's perfect Leman!

Thanks. :-bd

Duke Speedy of Leighton

BP are muttering about an ACW suppliment soon.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

getagrip

Quote from: mad lemmey on 31 March 2015, 10:06:48 AM
BP are muttering about an ACW suppliment soon.

Think I'm going to build my own rules.  Thinking Warmaster with additional command points. :-\

WFGamer

QuoteWe still use F&F for ACW, but are playing some "Mit Blud und Eisen"/FFF for Europe/Crimea and it's good fun for big games. Think it's pitched similar level to BBB - manoeuvre units are Brigades, formations are Divisions and a player might easily push a Corps around in a short-ish evening.

Units in MBuE are usually brigades but can be divisions, for example in the ACW the units are usually divisions. I would guess BBB, I haven't seen the rules, is about the same scale but MBuE is a more detailed set, I think. Presumably this will mean that for the same battle MBuE will take longer/need more players but would feature more tactical play than BBB.

petercooman

Quote from: getagrip on 31 March 2015, 10:11:40 AM
Think I'm going to build my own rules.  Thinking Warmaster with additional command points. :-\

http://www.nick101.f9.co.uk/rules/Docs/ACWarmaster.pdf

;)

getagrip

petercooman

Leman

Just as an aside, Black Powder, Hail Caesar and Pike and Shotte all developed out of Warmaster.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

getagrip

Quote from: Leman on 01 April 2015, 09:18:50 AM
Just as an aside, Black Powder, Hail Caesar and Pike and Shotte all developed out of Warmaster.

Black powder is okay for ACW isn't it?

toxicpixie

Yep - the book's got ACW scenarios and armies in, but there's no points system as I (after a bit of reading on t'web) understand it.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

getagrip

Quote from: toxicpixie on 01 April 2015, 09:37:54 AM
Yep - the book's got ACW scenarios and armies in, but there's no points system as I (after a bit of reading on t'web) understand it.

Hmm, bit of a deal breaker for me!

Thanks anyway. ;)