"Open Fire!" by Battlefront

Started by Raider4, 25 March 2015, 08:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

Some are more "realistic" than others, for a given value of realistic.

Have to agree with the sentiment that some rule sets are more effort than enjoyment!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Raider4

Quote from: Ithoriel on 21 April 2015, 03:50:49 PM

Some are more "realistic" than others, for a given value of realistic.

Realism. What do we mean by realism?

Example: If I'm playing Victory At Sea, obviously I'm not soaking wet, freezing cold & in danger of drowning in the North Atlantic, am I?

Martyn

Ithoriel

22 April 2015, 12:06:07 AM #17 Last Edit: 22 April 2015, 12:08:37 AM by Ithoriel
If I'm playing Victory at Sea it's a fair bet I'm in my pyjamas, it's 4am, I'm freezing cold, I'm exhausted and I'm desperately trying to stop some wuzzock from sailing right into that spread of torpedoes!. Close enough!

Quote from: Ithoriel on 21 April 2015, 03:50:49 PM
.. for a given value of realistic.

;D ;D ;D ;D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

KTravlos

I do not know about realism or what not. But walls of tanks are simply not fun. They do not look fun and they do not play fun. This is one reason why I have avoided WWII and after wargaming. Tank walls seem unavoidable. I think WWII+ are periods  best enjoyed either as boardgames at the operational- strategic level, or down to the sqaud at most platoon level.

Ithoriel

Any WW2-and-after rules that don't punish wheel to wheel armour by making them a prime target for artillery or air power aren't doing their jobs properly!

"Ach so, Heinz! The Englander pig-dogs are lined up like Volksvagens in a parking lot. Call in the Stukas!"

What do you think? Career writing Commando Comics a non-starter? :)

fsn

Absolutely! (To the rules. As far as the Commando Comics goes ... I'd maybe read a few more.)

Artillery and loads of it!

"Zuffel! Tommy's artillery is ... aarrgh!" - FSN
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steeleye

I remember seeing 'track guard to track guard' columns of 1/300th T62s rolling across bits of West Germany back in the 80s, I don't know what rules people used back then but this sort of thing is hardly new...although that's hardly an excuse for it now.

paulr

Quote from: Steeleye on 28 April 2015, 09:22:27 AM
I remember seeing 'track guard to track guard' columns of 1/300th T62s rolling across bits of West Germany back in the 80s, I don't know what rules people used back then but this sort of thing is hardly new...although that's hardly an excuse for it now.

If they were parked on the edge of the table probably WRG Moderns, if they had actually advanced almost certainly another rule set  ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

skywalker

I admit we do sometimes play tank heavy games, but they are usually scenario based which at least gives both sides a fighting chance. We went away from the Battlefront published Flames of War rules as we found them to have too many strange rules which did not fit into what we consider the spirit of wargaming  :). So for 15mm games we use the Rapid Fire rules as some of the scenario supplements give ideas for some cracking games that require a bit more thought than just lining up a wall of Tigers and shooting large holes in everything.   ;D ;D ;D

Leon026

25 May 2015, 11:58:51 AM #24 Last Edit: 25 May 2015, 12:02:56 PM by Leon026
I have to admit, I do play Flames of War every so often - despite its "realism" (or whichever definition of realism we give it). It uses a variable scale which makes adding a tank platoon "acceptable" to an infantry company while keeping to the "realism", but that said, I have huge huge huge doubts on whether their "Cold War gone hot" game is even going to work. For that matter, I've yet to see a miniature board game accurately represent armored warfare.

The whole IGOUGO is think has gotten really stale too, considering FoW does not have opportunity fire / overwatch

julesav

I've been playing WW2 games since the old WRG 1925-1950 rules in the 1970s. Play quite a lot of FoW. Dodged the 'track to track tank' look by playing infantry companies only by gentleman's agreement. We also chose to base our AFVs to make 'track to track' deployment impossible. I've had some truly corking games!

As with every rules set you can play to distort history or play historically. The rules seem sound and pretty 'bomb-proof' I've killed closely packed tanks with air power and artillery.

Criticising a set of rules for how people choose to play with them isn't really about the rules, it's about the players. And everyone is entitled to play how they choose imho.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!