"Open Fire!" by Battlefront

Started by Raider4, 25 March 2015, 08:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

or Flames of War Lite, as I understand it.

Not seen this mentioned anywhere else, but the Rulebook(s) are available for free.

I'll be looking at these for a bit of fun, I think.

Played in 10mm of course . . .

Cheers, Martyn

getagrip

Thanks Raider, will have a shufty at these  ;)
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

GordonY

the question you should ask is

am I happy playing 40K?

cos thats what these are, but in WW2 clothes

roll to hit, roll to damage, make a saving roll, IGOUGO typical rubbish. YMMV

The rules pre v1.0 were always free, then they went all corporate, then the Uber units/heroes started appearing in the game, does that remind you of any giant, global, money grubbing corporation that many on this forum love poking with pointy sticks? Hint Germs Werkship

Leon026

despite having 4-5 armies for Flames of War, I'm not a huge huge fan of their rules - though they aren't terrible either. That said, I do like their miniatures....

Luddite

FoW.

WWII rules that encourage 'axle-to-axle' tank deployments, with armour moving and fighting like Napoleonic heavy horse.

;D ;D =O =O 8-} 8-} =O 8-} =O ;D ;D
If this were 'not-40k', fantasty/sci-fi type gaming, fair enough.  WWII ruleset it ain't.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

GordonY

Well put Luddite, I think the 1st picture says it all.

getagrip

Even as a newbie to WWII, it doesn't really work does it? :-\

barbarian

To be fair, any rule could make your table looking like that : it's all about how many troops on a given table size.

I think I can't cope with the "company level" of play but with regimental assets : so I have a company of Foot + Tigers + Planes + On table Arty.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Hertsblue

Barbarian is, of course, right. Wall to wall Panthers are not confined to FoW - rather to competition wargaming where winning is more important than authenticity.

Having said that, I seem to recall a film clip posted on the forum of Soviet T34s advancing track to track. Blowed if I can find it, though.  :( :( :(
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

getagrip

Quote from: Hertsblue on 20 April 2015, 11:27:26 AM
competition wargaming where winning is more important than authenticity.

Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate. >:(

Play for fun. :)

Ithoriel

Not enough opposing aircraft and artillery if your tanks are lined up like that - 1 Tiger is a threat, five Tigers is a target :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Hertsblue

Quote from: getagrip on 20 April 2015, 11:46:39 AM
Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate. >:(

Play for fun. :)

You didn't write 1984 by any chance?
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Malbork

Luddite's first pic reminds me of our school wargames club back in the mid-late 70s, except our scenery was crap and we played on tabletennis tables.

Loads of Airfix tanks lined up on either side of the table, often the one -piece plastc versions rather than the kits whch meant almost as many HO/OO Tiger I on the table as were actually produced during the war. These faced off against Centurions ('cos Airfix made them ) and JS II - bloody powerful gun under the rules of the time hence verrrry popular with teenage boys.  A few clumps of German infantry and British commandos in squares behind the tanks and we were udner starter's orders.

Then we simply advanced in line and let rip; And of course we all fired on the move, and lots of our tanks had flamethrowers fitted, and , and, and,

Norm

21 April 2015, 02:45:51 PM #13 Last Edit: 21 April 2015, 02:49:38 PM by Norm
I don't think I have ever played anything that is realistic - and doubt I ever will!

though things have claimed to be realistic.

The best I can claim is that my toys and boardgames are representational :) and some have rulesets that these days are too much of a chore to enjoy.

Raider4

Quote from: Norm on 21 April 2015, 02:45:51 PM

I don't think I have ever played anything that is realistic - and doubt I ever will!

This. So very much this.

Cheers, Martyn