Warband historical

Started by Ironduke, 24 March 2015, 03:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

makebelievebkk

IMO historical has been done and done again, and again, and again... and as much as I love it, i dont see a need for another rule set :p

Now, I would love to see more range of Warband armies and in particular a bridge between historical and fantasy. Historical armies with their mythical additions e.g. Greeks with cyclops, hydras etc. Vikings with wolves and frost giants - even gods and demi gods. I know there are some skirmish rules out there that cover this but not on the battle scale of Warband.

Also, more fantasy lists in general :)

Bodvoc

Armies of Myth and Legend, sounds like a Warband supplement to me!
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Matt J

I like this idea I have a hankering to do ancient Greeks hoplites V's Undead ala Jason and the Argonauts but on a big scale.
Also Vikings with ulfenwerner Vs Zombie hordes would be fun
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Luddite

Quote from: Bodvoc on 17 September 2015, 10:26:05 AM
Armies of Myth and Legend, sounds like a Warband supplement to me!

Interesting idea.

Would a supplement with additional fantasy armies in be welcome?
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

AndyT

Quote from: makebelievebkk on 17 September 2015, 08:31:34 AM
IMO historical has been done and done again, and again, and again... and as much as I love it, i dont see a need for another rule set :p

For me 10mm scale is ideal in terms of space and storage requirements but Warmaster Ancients never quite felt right, especially where heavy cavalry seemed to dominate (just my humble opinion) so an Ancients version of Warband would be very welcome in my eyes, but I appreciate that it is a long way off.

Quote from: Luddite on 17 September 2015, 10:48:30 AM

Yes please. I never tire of writing army lists, or buying new figures for that matter :)

Cheers, Andy

Bloodaxe

Quote from: AndyT on 17 September 2015, 05:51:10 PM
For me 10mm scale is ideal in terms of space and storage requirements but Warmaster Ancients never quite felt right, especially where heavy cavalry seemed to dominate (just my humble opinion) so an Ancients version of Warband would be very welcome in my eyes, but I appreciate that it is a long way off.

Yes please. I never tire of writing army lists, or buying new figures for that matter :)

Cheers, Andy

If there are complete miniature ranges to go with army lists, Id want it.

owaincaesarius

Well as I have not yet played Warband maybe I am not the person to comment but I am all for a historical version. Reading through the command/control section and the rather neat movement and match up rules I straight away thought that here was a set that could work well for historical battles. Bring it on!

Leon026

What about imagi-nations?

I'm tempted to throw myself into the foray of 10mm medieval (12th-15th century), but I don't have a particular affinity with a specific period, unlike napoleonics. I'm also unsure with which ruleset to go for, Hail Caesar or Warband, but I really did enjoy Warmaster. But wouldn't imagi-nations get the best of both? Creating a fantasy Grand Principality of Leondo to play against warband necromantic barbarians with their undead friends that ravage the countryside could be really interesting in of itself, and I for one would certainly be tempted.

Leman

Has anyone else seen the historical mythical lists for Hordes of the Things, e.g.. Greek myth, Japanese myth, Arthurian, Faerie Queene, Conquistador, Napoleonic (Mr. Norrel?), Victorian Science Fiction etc., etc. I wouldn't think it wouldn"t take too much effort to convert these to Warband if that's your thing. My own preference is for Da Vinci Italian, but I'm messing about with Maximilian for that, with 10mm figures on the 28mm size bases.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Nosher

Quote from: Luddite on 17 September 2015, 10:48:30 AM
Interesting idea.

Definstely. If the ranges are there to support it
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson