Warband historical

Started by Ironduke, 24 March 2015, 03:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luddite

Good thinking Jim, although regenerate doesn't work close up to the enemy.

I guess an understand what 'Maniple' actually did in battle will help.   :-\
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

JimLeCat

Ummm... That's not what the rules say? The only restrictions on Regenerate are not routing and no morale loss in the current turn.

Now, I agree that these are conditions that tend to be broken near enemy units, so there is a correlation with it not working near the enemy, but correlation is not causation...  ;)

Luddite

Quote from: JimLeCat on 06 May 2015, 07:54:25 PM
Ummm... That's not what the rules say? The only restrictions on Regenerate are not routing and no morale loss in the current turn.

Now, I agree that these are conditions that tend to be broken near enemy units, so there is a correlation with it not working near the enemy, but correlation is not causation...  ;)

Ah yes of course.  I was thinking about CP expenditure.   Doh!
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

AndyT

Just reviving this topic. Has anyone seen Luddite's Warband Historical battle report?

http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/warband-historical-playtest-game-late.html

I'm really looking forward to an historical version.

Bodvoc

'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Bloodaxe

Quote from: AndyT on 11 September 2015, 08:46:30 PM
Just reviving this topic. Has anyone seen Luddite's Warband Historical battle report?

http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/warband-historical-playtest-game-late.html

I'm really looking forward to an historical version.

Thanks! I missed this.
Great stuff.  I'd love to see a Historic Warband. It would be even better if fantasy armies could fight historical armies.

Kiwidave

A friend and I have had a go using Warband for Dark Ages - Rus (Dragon Men with magic) v Vikings (or Saxons - I can't remember as it was a while ago). It worked OK - the lists I came up with need a tweak or two, and I had to guess the points value of a few units. It has promise :)

If any is interested in what I came up with let me know and I'll send the lists (Viking, Anglo-Saxon, Anglo-Dane)

Bodvoc

I would like to see your lists please, if you could PM me with them?
Thanks

Bloodaxe

12 September 2015, 09:42:14 PM #53 Last Edit: 12 September 2015, 09:55:18 PM by Bloodaxe
By all the Dice Gods, please let the army lists work with the current Pendraken miniatures range.
I hate when there are lists/rules for a unit and no miniature available.

This would be awesome if it could work with fantasy. Romans fight Orcs.  Carthage vs. the Undead.

AndyT

I guess thats one reason why publication of Warband Historical is quite some time away. The Pendraken ancient figure range will need to expand and fill some gaps in order to match whatever armies are in the army lists.

Leon

Yep, we'll need to replace and expand a lot of the ancient ranges before we look at publishing these, which is something we're hoping to do once Phil's finished the Warband sculpting.  We want to completely revamp the Greeks/Persians, replace the Dacians and Sassanids, and add some new ranges as well.  With those done we'll probably look at revamping the Dark Age stuff as well, as those should be reasonably quick jobs.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Bodvoc

Well KiwiDave kindly sent me his Dark Age lists which are very good. I have tentatively started work on a Norman List to complete those he has done. As for publishing a Warband Historical, Pendraken already do quite a range of Ancients, Dark Ages and Medieval armies. My suggestion would be to put the (12?) most popular armylists (in matched eras?) in the book and then add variety with free to download extra armylists on the website? Players could even share their own lists on this forum thus providing whatever period fix we all need. Otherwise it would be a very thick set of rules. However if Pendraken felt they needed to expand their ancients ranges I would not complain even though it would cost me a lot of money! :)

Bloodaxe

Great ideas.  Some play test rules & lists that could be put on the forum and tried by the forum members.
12 lists in the main book. Maybe an Army book with the other historical lists.
Something that would help new players that aren't history buffs, and may also help Pendraken miniatures sales- pendraken figure codes with army lists.

Bloodaxe

I have a Norse/Vikings list somewhere. I'm not sure if I ever got around to posting it here. I have to find it, or recreate it.

Tawa

Quote from: Luddite on 24 March 2015, 03:26:31 PM
What I would say is...they certainly do.

A historical version may be under development at the moment.   :-/

Well, then. This sounds interesting :)
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.