Warband historical

Started by Ironduke, 24 March 2015, 03:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Quote from: Westmarcher on 25 March 2015, 10:52:36 PM
There's a rule for posting mines?

Of course there is, you muppet !
The Post Office gets terribly sniffy if you try and send those through the mail !
Think what they were like with paints until recently.  ;)

Cheers - Phil

(I dunno.....Some people...I despair.)

AndyT

Quote from: Leon on 25 March 2015, 09:42:37 PM
We're talking quite a way down the line here, so there won't be a historical set being released in the near future.  We need to get the BKC family up and running first, so a Warband historical version would likely be a 2016 release I'd think.

Well I went ahead and sold my Warmaster Ancient Armies and Medieval books. Didn't bother selling the actual Warmaster Ancient rulebook as some of the pages were starting to come loose but I was very pleased to make £67 selling the two army lists books. That is going straight into the new Warband armies fund  :)

Bloodaxe

Would Historical armies be able to fight Fantasy armies? If so, how would Magic be handled? I have a few Warmaster Historical/Ancients books.

Roxxy

Hi all having had aprox 3-4 games of warband Fantasy the club is impressed and we now have 4 regular players, im converted love the way it flows and plenty to think about or gamble on. Thanks guys. However as soon as i started playing i thought HISTORICAL? If you need play testers im in, and so is my wife.

Luddite

Quote from: Roxxy on 30 April 2015, 11:31:15 AM
Hi all having had aprox 3-4 games of warband Fantasy the club is impressed and we now have 4 regular players, im converted love the way it flows and plenty to think about or gamble on. Thanks guys.

:D :-bd
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Leman

I am putting off painting up my Romans until the historical comes out.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

stenicplus

Quote from: Leman on 01 May 2015, 09:07:11 AM
I am putting off painting up my Romans until the historical comes out.

Why wait? Procrastinating will only mean they go to the bottom of the paint pile ;D

I think if you take out exotic units then you could find historical equivalents. Special attributes can then be used to tailor units.

Luddite

How would the Roman 'maniple' special rule work in Warband?
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Leman

Your question explains why a historical version is needed. It might work similarly to Impetus, another big base set.

Bodvoc

QuoteHow would the Roman 'maniple' special rule work in Warband?

In your turn, supporting units of legionaries (within 1BW) that are not currently engaged in melee may replace legionary units that are 'Locked'in melee, thus replacing tired units with fresh ones?
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

stenicplus

How many other rule sets reproduce the maniple? Most subsume it into the mechanics don't they? I suppose it depends very much at what level it's to be pitched but not sure I recall even Warmaster Ancients allowing for figures to be rotated.

FierceKitty

I have it in my ancients set.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

As I mentioned previously Impetus allows for maniple replacement under the pilum rule. Going further back in wargames time Ancient Empires had specific rules for maniples, but the set as a whole was very, very complex - phd required to play. Back in the 80s Donnington Fast Play Ancient rules had a very good and effective system for Roman maniples. The only reason I stopped playing them was the single figure removal system, but at the time they knocked WRG into a cocked hat.

Fenton

Armati kind of did it as well using the fatigue recovery rules
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

JimLeCat

Seems to me you, if you assume that the units are cohorts or bigger, that you could just give them regenerate and say it is their ability to rotate troops. No need to worry about exactly how it was accomplished...