Army Size

Started by AndyT, 19 March 2015, 10:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyT

A question for Chieftain I guess, or looking for opinions of those who have already played Warband:

Are forces of less or more than 500 points viable?

I don't have room for a 6x4 foot table at home so I will only be able to play 500 points using 100x50mm bases at my local wargaming club, but I do have room for a 4 foot square board at home. I wonder how the force building rules might be adjusted to allow for smaller point forces?

I expect that some players wil want to try games using more than 500 points. Has this been tried during playtesting?

Cheers, Andy

Upgraydd

Also on the subject of army size;

The lists are capped at 500, if we want to play larger battles should we use multiples of 500 or just keep the core units at at least 40% and support at no more than 40%. for example a 700 point battle should have at least 280 points from Core an no more than 280 from support?

Chieftain

Interesting questions chaps.

The current parameters of the army build achieves the best balanced forces.

If you're going to vary away from the 500pts, i'd suggest this 'keep the core units at at least 40% and support at no more than 40%' is the best approach.  The effect of the commander and magic user unit on the battle will vary of course, becoming more dominant with smaller forces, and less dominant with larger forces.

What i'd say is, try it and see if it works for you.
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

cbr3d.com

Cheiftain - Of course you realise by Christmas that you will be answering questions about 1500 point a side games!    ;)

Love the rules by the way, what I particularly think is great is that they will be easy for youngsters to comprehend.    :-bd

Well done, I just hope you are a workaholic insomniac, I think that may be a requirement in the coming months.    :o

Upgraydd

Quote from: Fig.ht on 20 March 2015, 12:27:24 AM
Cheiftain - Of course you realise by Christmas that you will be answering questions about 1500 point a side games!    ;)

Yes, because we all know that size matters   ;)

Chieftain

Quote from: Fig.ht on 20 March 2015, 12:27:24 AM

Hmmm...Warband: Big Battle.  :-\

QuoteLove the rules by the way, what I particularly think is great is that they will be easy for youngsters to comprehend.    :-bd

QuoteWell done, I just hope you are a workaholic insomniac, I think that may be a requirement in the coming months.    :o

I've got the insomnia covered at least.
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

ricardo440

I've only played a couple of games, but I'd advise you play bigger battles with COMMANDS each of 400-500 points.

Then you could have  each player controling one command. You could even have the overall commander able to transfer CPs or something to someone who rolled bad.

Having said that there is quite a lot to do in a game of warband, so it might grind to a halt with lots of people. You'd have to be moving units all at the same time or your turns would just mushroom in length.