Hill Dwarf Red Mountain clan

Started by Luddite, 17 March 2015, 12:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irregularwars

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Great idea, well executed! Nicely done sir!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Luddite

17 March 2015, 11:17:55 AM #17 Last Edit: 17 March 2015, 11:19:51 AM by Luddite
It's said of sculptors that they don't really sculpt anything, they just chip away the stone that's not needed.

I've always taken this to be a reference to the creative process being a live and evolving thing.

It sort of happened with these.  I had a crude idea that I was going to sort of paint them white and brown, with a bit of grey to make them look 'stoney'.

The red came in by surprise.  

I'm now looking at them and seeing 'Romano-British' so i think i might use that as a conscious theme for the rest of the warband.

This is one of the things i enjoy about a fantasy army - you're not painting to a historical pattern of colour scheme, so you have a lot more freedom.  Its also a lot more difficult of course, and the potential for it to go wrong is considerable.

I'm thinking the 'Red Mountain' motif will transfer across all the units, but the complimentary colour will change with each unit.

I think the core units will be next, then the optional troops.  I'm still pondering over the magic user...
I have a few ideas but haven't decided.  Will they deploy behind a wall of fire elementals?  Or perhap i'll model them summoning a 'giant spirit dwarf' (who will then throw magic rocks as their shooting attack spell)...it also needs some sort of dolmen arrangment.  Uh...so many options!

:D
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Matt J

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Maenoferren

Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

toxicpixie

Really nice stuff. Exactly what I mean/think of by "nice basing". Looks like a unit actually in the process of doing stuff, looks like it'll slip into the army seamlessly but is totally an individual base with real character. AND it's usable - dice frames etc all ready to go.

Cracking :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Ken

gregernest

Love the work!  Can't wait to get mine started, but I doubt they'll look this inspiring.

I will probably be ordering the undead army when it comes available.

BTW:  why three dice holders???

Luddite

18 March 2015, 12:35:47 PM #23 Last Edit: 18 March 2015, 12:39:58 PM by Luddite
It's a command base so,

1 for the CP (probably a yellow die - not sure how i'll deal with results of 7 & 8!)
1 for Morale die (probably a green die)
1 for recording hits (probably a red die)

Just trying to minimise token use.  It might not work but i'll give it a go.

:)

I'm playing this thursday when i'll be using the Pendraken hit markers.  I'f i'm happy with them i might not need these dice frames - if so they're easily removed.

Just trying out different ideas really.  Check out the 'how many dice frames' thread.  I think in the long run i might just fashion a 'camp' with different trays to put dice and tokens for keeping track of CPs and MPs.  That seems like a visually pleasing option to me.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN