6mm painting

Started by getagrip, 15 March 2015, 05:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

Jack, that's pretty much what I do, just a schwip of highlight or a wash to shade and define and it's done...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

paulr

Quote from: getagrip on 16 March 2015, 10:00:52 PM
Thanks Paul; they're fantastic  :-bd

Pixie,  I think you've about summed it up for me; they are 6mm.  I'm not going to be painting eyebrows  ;)

Thanks  :-[

Amazing what a wash and dry brush will do ;)

I think the key is to pick a few items and make sure there is plenty of contrast
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

When I first picked up some 6mm infantry back in the days of yore, I was baffled and tried to paint them like a "normal" scale figure. Needless to say, they never got sorted. Couple years later a mate was puzzled as to why I found them difficult, so I explained and he said base colour > dab flesh for face/hands > stripe of brown or metal or black on weapon > dab helmet/backpack, done.

My jaw dropped :D

Tehcniques advanced (and simplified, even!) a little since, but yeah. No painting eyebrows for sure ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

getagrip

Quote from: toxicpixie on 17 March 2015, 12:01:14 AM
When I first picked up some 6mm infantry back in the days of yore, I was baffled and tried to paint them like a "normal" scale figure. Needless to say, they never got sorted. Couple years later a mate was puzzled as to why I found them difficult, so I explained and he said base colour > dab flesh for face/hands > stripe of brown or metal or black on weapon > dab helmet/backpack, done.

My jaw dropped :D

Tehcniques advanced (and simplified, even!) a little since, but yeah. No painting eyebrows for sure ;)

I'm going to splosh some colour around this weekend and see what happens. ;)
Buy plenty of Matron's sculpts now!

If he keeps using the chainsaw, the value of his work will soon go up.

Hertsblue

May I extend this discussion to basing? Having finished painting my first 6mm figures I applied Baccus basing material liberally to the bases using my old faithful PVA adhesive. Having left it for an hour or so to dry I decided the time was ripe to go to the next stage and give the bases their brown wash. To my surprise, the wash lifted the material off the bases, leaving them pretty well bald. A quick test revealed that the PVA had entirely failed to hold the basing material on any of the bases.

So, what is the best adhesive to hold this stuff? The little tutorial on basing seems to be missing from the Baccus website at the moment. Any ideas?   
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

getagrip

Good point.

I'd also be interested to see what people use as flock / grit etc.

Will the stuff I use for 10mm be okay?

Fenton

Quote from: getagrip on 17 March 2015, 05:39:34 PM
Good point.

I use the same stuff...Cant remember where I got it but its quite small
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Ithoriel

I apply B&Q flexible filler, let it set, paint it brown (shade varies), coat with thinned down evostick resin wood glue, dredge with sand, when dry flood sand with brown wash, allow to dry, drybrush with a couple of shades of brown/ beige depending on where in the world the figures are supposed to be, paint areas with wood glue, dredge with green flock, allow to dry, flood flock with green ink, allow to dry, drybrush "grass" with light green/ yellow/ beige as appropriate.

There may be a reason I take so long to get units finished :)   
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

getagrip

Quote from: Ithoriel on 17 March 2015, 06:17:15 PM
I apply B&Q flexible filler, let it set, paint it brown (shade varies), coat with thinned down evostick resin wood glue, dredge with sand, when dry flood sand with brown wash, allow to dry, drybrush with a couple of shades of brown/ beige depending on where in the world the figures are supposed to be, paint areas with wood glue, dredge with green flock, allow to dry, flood flock with green ink, allow to dry, drybrush "grass" with light green/ yellow/ beige as appropriate.

Woah! :o

I was rather hoping to deploy these bad boys before I retire :D

Quote from: Ithoriel on 17 March 2015, 06:17:15 PM
There may be a reason I take so long to get units finished :)   

Yeah, I think there may be a link ;)

paulr

Quote from: getagrip on 17 March 2015, 05:39:34 PM
Good point.

It should be unless you are going for a desert look  ;)

As I found with my 1917 project grain size is very important if you are modelling sandy desert
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

17 March 2015, 07:31:16 PM #40 Last Edit: 17 March 2015, 09:07:59 PM by mad lemmey
Silver sand mixed with red sand.
50/50 days atelier pva.
Leave to dry at least 24 hours.
Ink.
Leave 24 hours.
Base coat, dry brush.
Water/PVA mix.
Leave to dry.
Flock and clumps.
Leave to dry
Vanish

Basically basing can take longer than painting troops!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

Quote from: Hertsblue on 17 March 2015, 04:41:39 PM
So, what is the best adhesive to hold this stuff? The little tutorial on basing seems to be missing from the Baccus website at the moment. Any ideas?   
Yeah. Instructions aren't clear about timescales. My first attempt at the Baccus system had similar results but I now have no problems.

Using a slightly watered down mix of PVA (roughly 2 of PVA, 1 of water but never more than 50/50), I sprinkle the sand on the base, turn the base upside down, give it a gentle tap or two and leave it, usually overnight.

When I apply the ink wash, I dip the brush in the pot to get a generous helping and dab it on, letting it run freely through the sand. I use different size brushes depending on the area to be covered (large for wide areas, thin for getting between figures, etc.).

After leaving it overnight, I then dry brush the base as directed and apply the PVA/water mix again. I then dump a load of static grass on the base, turn the base upside down, give it a couple of taps with my finger, smooth the edges with my finger and again leave overnight. Next day, I get our old hoover out (!) and using the thin nozzle attachment, (very carefully) vacuum off the loose static grass (both this and the upside tapping of the base also helps the grass to stand up).  Works fine that way. Next lot of PVA was bought in a DIY shop. I also used some old Humbrol varnish once at the basing material stage and that worked too.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Hertsblue

OK, two things since my last post:

1. I've found the Baccus basing tutorial here:

https://www.baccus6mm.com/includes/howto/base6mm.php

2. I've had another go with the Baccus basing material using a different high-tack PVA. This time - success! When sprinkling on the basing material, which is very light and fine, make sure it's embedded well into the PVA. Leave it to dry for an hour or two, then use Westmarcher's technique of dabbing on the base-coat. And Robert's your mother's brother! The Baccus three-shade drybrushing works well, but normal static grass flock is too long for these little fellows and I shall be going over to the made-for-the-job stuff in the near future.   
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

getagrip

That's really useful Herts :-bd

Leman

I have used the Baccus basing system successfully for a long time now, except my initial wash is yellow ochre (dab it on) then a wash of brown magic wash (the floor polish, water, ink mix) before doing the three layer dry brush. I find this gives a slightly lighter finish which makes the figures stand out better.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!